Show Night

“Christine, dear, where is your scarf?” The actor playing Raoul asked with concern. I stood on the sides where I would enter shaking. Pierce hadn’t shown up yet since the play had begun. It was evident that Stein was annoyed by this, but she was giving me more than enough encouragement. She could tell how nervous I was.

                If only Rodger could see me now.

                The soccer star that had won the game more than four times this season standing backstage dressed up and nervously awaiting for his cue to come out.

                Certainly was a sight.

                My first lines hadn’t popped up yet, and I knew the suspense was killing me. My eyes were trained on Rose as she played her part of the innocent girl. She certainly didn’t look as nervous as she said she would be a few days ago.

                Her words came out smoothly and naturally. She was born an actress.

                “No Raoul, the Angle of Music is very strict.” She sent an apologetic look to Raoul, playing her part wonderfully.

                “Well, I shan’t keep you up late.” He reached for her hand to pull her along, but she tore back a little.

                “No Raoul…”

                “You must change. I must get my hat.” He held up his index and middle finger, “Two minutes Little Lotte.”

                “Raoul!” Rose called as Raoul went to leave, “Wait!”

                But it was too late.

                The lights dimmed and the music cued, a subtle note adding to the eerie tone sent.

                I sucked in a deep breath, my heart trying to pound itself out of my chest. Through the darkness, I slipped into my spot behind the mirror. Swallowing nervously, my ears listened for the cue.

                “Insolent boy, This slave of fashion. Basking in your glory.” I called from backstage. My microphone cut in halfway through boy, unfortunately missing my beginning. I grimaced, but continued with my part, “Ignorant fool! This brave young suitor sharing in my triumph!”

                Rose looked around before singing her lines. Her eyes were wide with confusion, and curiosity. “Angel I hear you, Speak—I listen. Stay by my side—guide me!”

                She continued her line, and I sang mine back. I could feel ourselves falling into the roll as she turned her head around in search of me. Through the blackened mirror, I could see her, but like Christine in the play, she had no idea where I was.

                The light in the mirror brightened so that the audience could see me as I started to sing my lines slowly, lowly.

                Her eyes widened as ours connected.

                So she hadn’t been expecting me.

                I gave a slight smirk as I continued to sing, “I am your Angel of Music.”

                Her eyes held mine as I successfully led both girls into my lair.

                ~*~