Cat Fight.

Two days passed before Caden called.

                It was close to eleven at night on Thursday when the phone rang, waking both of us up from our slumber.

                “Mason!” Joey groaned from the other room.

                “Get it.” I grunted back.

                “I’m pregnant. I can’t.”

                “That’s a shit excuse!”

                “Language!”

                “Whatever.”

                “Just get the damned phone.”

                I groaned, swinging my legs over the side of the bed. Joey fell silent, content with making her younger brother do her dirty work.

                I trudged over to the phone, catching it just before it hit voice mail.

                “Hulla?” I grunted, my eyes closed. I swayed in my spot with the phone pressed against my ear, tired.

                “M-Mason?” A voice choked out.

                “Yeah?”

                “It’s Caden.”

                My eyes snapped open. “What do you want?”

                “Is your sister there?”

                “No. What do you want?”

                “Listen I need to explain—”

                “Shut up, Caden.” I hissed, wide awake now. I didn’t care for his bullshit. “You’re not talking to Joey so is there anything else you need?”

                “Look—”

                I hung up on him.

                The light flickered on, blinding me temporarily. I turned around with my eyes squinting slightly to see Joey standing there in her PJ’s, arms wrapped around her waist.

                We shared a knowing look.

                I shook my head gently.

                She nodded, turning the light off and walking back to her room.

                I did the same.

                He called three more times that night.

                ~*~

                “Good morning, cutie.” I smiled to Rose as she took a seat in front of me. I had gotten to class early for once, so to grab a few minutes to talk with her.

                She rolled her eyes, sinking into her seat, “There’s nothing ‘good’ about it.”

                I leaned forward, catching a strand of her hair in my fingers. I twirled it around, my eyes watching it as I spoke, “And what makes you say that?”

                “Just… everything!” She groaned, closing her eyes.

                I leaned in close, my lips by her ear, “I bet I could make it better.”