Shit Hits The Fan

“Wrong, wrong, all wrong!” Stein yelled furiously as she stood up from her chair in front of the stage. Everyone froze in their position, staring at her.  

                What had we done wrong?

                She pulled me forward so that I was closer to Emily than previously. Stein thought it was a good idea to have the understudies practice with each other for a rehearsal. Emily had been the understudy for Christine. While I had been looking forward to actually being able to act this time, I was disappointed that Rose wouldn’t be up with me.

                We were currently working on the song Wandering Child/ Bravo Monsieur. It had to be one of my least favorites in the entire play.

                I wasn’t sure why.

                I just didn’t like it.

                “Mason, you need to touch her. You can’t just look at her.” Stein said.

                I sighed, tilting my head back, “I am touching her. Do I have to do it the entire time though? It feels weird that way.”

                “Not the entire time—you can’t. But you must when I tell you to! And those brief touches just aren’t doing it. We need to see your emotion come out.”

                Why? I wasn’t going to be in the actual performance. It seemed pointless for her to be yelling at me like she was.

                I looked out into the audience to where Pierce sat with a smug smirk on his lips. He leaned over to Rose on his left, whispering something in her ear. His eyes never left me. She giggled, hiding her smile behind her hand.

                I gritted my teeth.

                “Are you listening to me?” Stein snapped, grabbing my attention once more. I pulled my eyes away from the audience, back to her face

                “Yeah,”

                “Prove. I want this scene down by the end of rehearsal.”

                I inwardly sighed.

                Stein walked off the stage, taking a seat in between Hoffman and Wilson. Wilson smiled encouragingly at me, sticking a thumb up.

                “Action!” She called, using her mega phone she loved so much. It was only a plastic one, but I had dreams of melting it on her face.

                The stage crew clicked on the song.

                “Wandering child. So lost, so helpless. Yearning for my guidaaaance.” I sang, my eyes trained on Emily.

                “Angel or father. Friend or Phantom? Who is it there, staring?” Her eyes were wide as she sang, playing the part beautifully.

                Rose did a better job. Her voice fit with the song much better than Emily’s did. It was evident as to why Rose was the lead and Emily was only the understudy.

                “Have you forgotten your angel…?”

                “Angel, oh speak! What endlessly longings echo in this whisper.”

                “Too long you’ve—”

                “Stop, stop!” Stein said, standing up again. “Emily you need to be ten times louder. Get more into your role. You can’t see him so stop looking at him!”