McDonald's.

After a quick shower, Rose and I headed out for a late night snack at McDonald’s. I took my car, leaving hers in the parking lot of the hotel.

                The Taco Bell wasn’t a twenty-four hour one, having closed an hour before my game was over. My car was one of the only ones in the parking lot. Few cars were driving past on the highway next to it at such a late hour.

                I shook my damp hair as we walked in.

                “What do you want?” I pulled my wallet out, grabbing the only twenty in there.

                Rose shook her head, “I’m not hungry. You order for yourself.”

                “If you don’t tell me what you want, I’m just going to get you a quarter pounder.” I warned her, urging her forward.

                There were two or three people working this late of a shift. All three of them were clustered together, chatting. Every now and then one of them would glance over at us. It looked like they didn’t care particularly if we were here or not.

                She thought for a moment before stepping up to the register. One of the workers left the group, walking over to us.

                “What can I get you?”

                “Can I get a ten-pack McNuggets with a small fry and a coke?” She asked. Her voice was soft as she spoke.

                “Is that all?”

                I stepped up, “Can I get two number 4’s, a quarter pounder, large fries, and a coke?”

                The worker typed it in slowly. “Is that all?”

                We nodded.

                “13.42”

                I handed over a twenty.

                The three of them moved apart, all going to collect our food. Rose turned around to face me, raising an eyebrow.

                “What?”

                “Somebody’s hungry.” She poked my stomach.

                I chuckled, “I’m a growing boy. What can I say?”

                She giggled, rolling her eyes. I watched as our tray quickly filled up with food as the three workers moved back and forth around the kitchen to grab the food. Rose collected our soda cups, holding one in each hand.

                “What would you like?”

                “Coke please?”

                She moved off to the soda fountains to fill up our drinks. I watched the blonde for a moment while she filled it up before turning my attention back to the trays.

                Once everything was loaded up, I took both of the two trays we were using over to a table in the back. It was far enough that we could have some privacy in the small restaurant. Rose walked over a few minutes later with the two cups and a pile of napkins in her hands.

                She took a seat in the side opposite me in the booth.

                I switched around the food on our tray making it so that we each had our own. Rose opened up her box of nuggets, dunking them into a container of ketchup I hadn’t realized she’d gotten.