Chapter 1: Guard Dog Duty

If you got past all the trigger warnings and are here, YAY! 

I did end up rewriting this chapter to get a few details clear but otherwise, it's the same!

Comment your battery percentage and any snack you are eating ‼️

🐱 --------------------- 🐱

Running away from one of the most notorious Colombian Crime Families was the hardest thing I've ever done.

But nothing could compare to hearing the crowing of my co-worker, Lina Schwitt, talk about her weekend away with her partner.

"And then, he got me flowers! How cute right?!" Her voice dialled 2 more octaves higher than it usually is as she swiped giddily through her phone, every few seconds turning it to show me the context of her story.

Don't get me wrong, Lina was great, spunky, confident, and extremely friendly. A little too friendly at times but she had a good heart.

And apparently a rich boyfriend.

"Wow I'm so happy for you," I cleared my throat, doing my best to inject enthusiasm into my flat tone. She giggled with a bright grin and turned to face me as we both sat by the coffee machine while my dark roast was brewing.

I'm not normally a coffee drinker but I pulled two overnighters over the weekend while Lina was eating chocolate croissants in a cozy Parisian-style cafe on the only corner of New York that doesn't smell like piss.

Hence, I really needed that double espresso shot.

"Anyways what did you do on your weekend?" She asked eagerly, seemingly oblivious to the dark circle in the same color as my coffee slapped on my face.

Wouldn't she like to know?

"I wrote the financial report for the end of this period," I told her monotonously trying to come up with a better lie. Her mouth formed an O shape before assessing my disheveled appearance.

See the work we do at Russo Finances was a bit different from everyday tasks. By the daytime, it was a mundane financing firm set on predicting trends and managing people's money. By night, we take jobs for hits and dirty work.

By we, it was definitely not Lina.

Wyatt Finances was a cover-up for Mr. Wyatt Russo's real motive, taking down organized crime. Organized crime families and those who oversee them are usually untouchable by the law, hence that's how they keep operating. City police are usually bribed or don't have the authority to deal with them, but our job?

We keep tabs on crime families, it's how we keep them in line.

I wouldn't call it hero work, we're more like Deadpool but without the ass-tight red spandex.

"Cheer up Aria, not everyone can have rich boyfriends," Lina joked nudging me and I stared at her deadpan. 

Yeah, it definitely wasn't Lina. In fact, if it came down to it, she'd be the first to be dead.

"Wow the way that rope tighten around my neck," I replied flatly, as she patted me on the shoulder like the oblivious ball of rainbows and barfs she was.

The financial report was my cover-up for the large-scale murder I was investigating.

I had been working the Vienna case for the last 2 weeks, not that Lina would ever know I had no time for relationships with every idiot in this city's life on the line.

You see, there used to be 5 high-ranking crime families that worked in New York. They have official names but I prefer calling them Five Guys because that's a cooler name. Currently, there operates four, which is extremely disappointing for my catchy nickname but also unfortunate for them as one family was ruthlessly murdered.