Chapter 2: Stormy Grey Eyes

As much as I loved Skylar Brooklynn's personality, Aria is definitely the polar opposite. She definitely does not play games.

  🐱 --------------------- 🐱

You might be wondering why I'm standing in the middle of the abandoned building that formerly was the Vienna Family's main hideout when I was specifically told by my superior to drop the case.

It's simple really - I don't give a flying fuck for authority.

I slumped down on the burnt rubble that used to be attached to the bulkhead on the ceiling and propped my foot up as I scanned the same crime scene for the 50th time this week.

The Vienna family was lavishly rich, a mafia reigning the NYC playing field for generations. The 5 families operated in balance, despite the obvious tension as rivals, there was an unspoken mutual respect between them. They never meddled in each other's domains nor attempted to assassinate anyone for territorial gain.

This is why when the Viennas were brutally murdered and their family house burned to a perfect charred crisp, it took that balance with it.

The remaining families were becoming wary of each other and suddenly the respect was wearing thin. If a gang war broke out between the remaining 4, the city would have to pay in rubble and thousands of casualties.

I needed to find out how and why this happened if I wanted to keep the peace this city has sanctioned.

Kicking the wet rocks of rubble that surrounded my feet, I let my eyes survey the scene once more, adding to the already memorized crime scene in my head. The bodies have been long removed but the smell of charred pork was still evident.

Whoever did this was smart. The Viennas don't gather in one place for long and it must've taken a family-wide emergency for them all to be under the one roof, where it was easy to take them all out.

But who would have that kind of inside information?

My thoughts kept leading back to the few members of the family that disappeared. The Vienna family had a total of 12 members. It was getting a bit hard to identify everyone by their extremely suntanned faces but the autopsy report should reveal who the missing members were.

A total of 8 bodies were discovered. Leaving 4 prime suspects. The head of the Vienna passed a few weeks before and the family was still in mourning, natural causes they say. Next in for the throne was either of the boss's sons Julio or Marcus.

If either of them killed the family, their reasoning would be unclear. Now why didn't they just try to murder each other like good little assassins?

Out of both boys, Julio was the only one married, to a woman named Victoria Lee, a former triad princess who was married off when the Black Dragon Triad fell years ago. Marcus was not married which meant the title of gang leader would by convention go to Julio despite Marcus being the oldest son.

Did Marcus kill the family for the throne? I wouldn't know for certain unless the autopsy reports came in!

I was so close to figuring this out, the answer was on the tip of my tongue but I just needed more time to figure this out.

Fucking Wyatt and his guard dog duties. I picked up a piece of burnt rubble that lodged under my foot before slingshotting it against the wall in frustration, "Fucking Wyatt!"