Chapter 10: Hot and Insufferable

I was already sick of this man. It has been a week since I began working for Calix Winters and I quite literally would prefer to sit through a symphony of nails being scraped on a blackboard than have to accompany him to any more of his events.

Was he being a piece of shit? Not more than usual. 

Has he hurt me in any way? Other than that insufferable attitude, no.

So why was I so damn pissed about his mere existence? Because I can't stop staring at him.

He had been in his office all morning, clad in a tight navy blue shirt and black slacks that melded to his body so nicely. Over it lay a black cashmere trenchcoat that swayed regally behind him every step he walked. 

This man knew how to fucking dress and it was starting to piss me off.

"Yes, I'm well aware," Calix's head tilted up to the high ceiling of his office, an exasperated look etched on his features as he muttered into the phone against his ear. "Have him look into it," He pinched the bridge of his nose to control the clear irritation in his tone before turning to face the window behind his desk.

Meanwhile, I was seated on the sofa a few meters from his desk inside his office. A few files spread on the coffee table before me as I flipped through a few ledgers. As much as I didn't want to, his entire physique was conveniently at eye level for me.

"Yes, I know. I'm busy today, I won't be able to do it till tomorrow," He groused, completely unaware of the hole I was burning into his back. He had godforsakenly ditched the cashmere coat and stood just in the fitted black slacks cinched at his hips by a brown leather belt.

I may hate his guts, but I was still a woman. 

A woman who needed to get her shit together and stop staring at his ass. For fucks sake!

His body turned, ripping the cell phone from beside his ear and stabbing the end call button. My eyes quickly flickered up to his face, just as his gaze locked with mine. I was so enwrapped in staring at him that I sat there at a loss for words.

"What's wrong?" He asked a slight hint of amusement in his tone.

I shook my head, huffing out a breath and standing up, "I need a coffee," Correction: I needed a fucking drink—preferably tequila straight from the bottle, but a shot of espresso would have to suffice.

Calix smirked, tucking his free hand into his slack pockets, "Cafe down in the lobby has better coffee than the company cafeteria," He said casually. Did I forget to mention there was an entire buffet cafeteria on the 3rd floor? "Tell them to put it under my name."

I gave him a flat look. First of all, I didn't want to buy a coffee on his card like a beggar, and second of all, why would they charge the CEO just because some random employee said so? "Do they have tequila?"

His head tilted to the floor, and a laugh escaped his lips, "No tesoro, I don't think I would allow that,"

Killjoy.

I sighed with a mix of frustration and resignation, choosing to ignore whatever bilingual word he had slipped in there. "Fine, coffee it is." With that, I made my way to the door, leaving Calix smirking behind me. 

The faster I get away from him, the better for my sanity. 

There was only one elevator in the building that led to Calix's top-floor office, and an ID card with top-floor access had to be scanned to be able to operate it. Only a few people were granted his access, namely just Jace and seemingly that other cute curly-haired brunette from the other day, Veron I think he said his name was.