Part 15: Two Faced

Short chapter, i was kinda bored hehe

No POV

"Rough day at work?" Jace murmured, leaning against the arm of the sofa in his boss's home office.

Calix didn't respond, his eyes stayed trained on his desk as he walked towards it with a slow and tired drag.

Jace's eyes followed his figure as he lowered himself onto the desk chair with a loud sigh. The dark aura hung in the air as Calix turned the computer on, letting the bright light illuminate his sharp features in the dimly lit room.

Jace scoffed, a gust of air escaping through his clenched teeth trying to hold back a laugh, "You sent Aria home early so she wouldn't know your dirty little secrets," he sang teasingly.

"Shut it, Jace," Calix snapped back, running a hand through his hair out of frustration. "I'm not in the fucking mood for this,"

He wasn't in the mood for anything since he got back late tonight. Jace chortled loudly, crossing his arms over his chest as he leaned back comfortably against the back of the sofa. He had grown up with Calix, they were much past acquaintances for him to pay mind to any of his threats.

But what fascinated the bodyguard was his boss's attitude these past couple of days. Calix sat at the helm of the table, his fingers sprawled on his forehead to rub a throbbing headache as he continued to glare at the computer screen.

The bright light from the monitor shed light onto things that would've otherwise stayed hidden in the darkness. The blood-soaked on his tie clashed with the once clean navy blue. Not to mention the matching stains on his white shirt and streaks across his cheek and jaw.

But Jace knew better. There wasn't a cut on him, and there hasn't been for a long while. Calix wasn't considered untouchable just in the business world. "You aren't going to be able to hide this much longer from her, you know," he murmured, "Maybe you should dial it down on the usual activities,"

"I can't dial it down," Calix replied through gritted teeth, mocking Jace's phrase, "Those papers are still missing and nobody seems to have a fucking clue how they went missing in the first place,"

Jace could only imagine how much of the truth a man was willing to reveal after being subjected to that much torture. If he keeps insisting he doesn't know even after a couple of severed fingers, then he clearly doesn't know.

"Those documents." Jace mumbled, his tone becoming serious for a moment, "They're transactions for them aren't they,"

Calix's eyebrow quivered vexingly, "Yes. She knows about the weapons trading, she just doesn't know who exactly my client list is,"

"Well that's not good," Jace continued to taunt much to the grimace on his boss's face, "It will only be a matter of time till she figured it out. She's fucking crazy like that,"

A smirk twitched on Calix's lips despite his obvious irritation as he continued to stare thrillingly at his paperwork, "Yes that she is," Yes she was fucking crazy. But nothing compared to him.

Jace's eyebrows raised, piquing his interest, "She's fascinatingly unhinged,"

Calix sighed, hefting himself up from his seat and pulling open his locked drawer, "There's more to her than I thought, something deeper, something intriguing. The more she works to 'protect' me the more I see it,"

"Looks like someone's taking their role seriously," Jace sang again earning another glare as Calix grabbed the spare gun from the drawer, "Gotta admit I didn't peg you for someone who plays the damsel in distress role well,"

"I like watching her work," Calix hummed back with a low chuckle, "She's nothing like they said she'd be,"

"She's more human than they made her out to be, that's for sure," Jace added thoughtfully. "Going back into a building to save some kids is nothing like the murderous weapon she is on paper,"

"Yes, I didn't account for the amount of times she might disobey a direct order though," Calix replied annoyedly shoving his loaded gun into the tactile belt hung from his shoulder under the bloodied blazer.

Jace wanted to bring up the fact that as the client of this bodyguard and charge relationship, Calix seemed more concerned with his bodyguard's safety than the other way around, but decided against it.

Calix was already pissed off, and Jace had made fun of the raging demon enough for tonight to keep staying alive.

"She fights well as any other, if not better. Then again," Jace mumbled thoughtfully watching the smirk spread across Calix's lips as he walked towards the elevator,

"I didn't expect anything less of the Escasina Princess," he replied with a low chuckle.

Jace half smirked before hefting himself off his reclined position. Aria's day was done and under the pretence of working late in the safety of his own home, Calix had demanded she go home for the night. Unbeknownst to her, the tech billionaire's night had just begun.

Jace walked down the stairs with his boss till they arrived at the car parked out the front of Calix's annex. "The meeting with the bratva tonight, who do they want to meet?" He wondered out loud as he followed behind Calix's long strides to the front porch over the boardwalk to the driveway.

Calix turned to face his head of security, "They want to meet Calix Winters," he replied coyly, "He is their biggest weapons manufacturer,"

Jace shook his head and smiled, "New suits in the car then boss," He always kept a spare suit in the trunk of the car for issues like this. On more than one occasion Calix had left one assignment for another covered in blood.

The tech billionaire Calix Winters was an honest and generous man who advanced the tech industry with an iron stronghold. He was considered intelligent, sharp and a leader. A smile on his face and a stern handshake to play the part.

That's the mask he wore.

The real Calix was a man entirely different.

Jace stared at his boss from the rearview mirror of the car as he drove. The frown on his face completed his hooded gaze as he wiped away the dead blood streaks across his face and pulled off his bloodied clothes to replace them with the suit that hung beside him. 

There were only a few who knew who he really was, and even fewer of them remained alive.