Chapter 8: The Magic Word

I stood next to Jace, positioned at the side of the stage, tablet pressed against my chest, while my gun and blades remained concealed under my blazer. The healing bullet injury on my arm was wrapped up under the jacket and I was high on painkillers to feel it in the current moment.

Jace stood beside me, in his uniform, and displayed his firearm on the tactical belt around his waist, in plain view like the other guards stationed in the room.

This morning's press conference was set to begin in the next 10 or so minutes and my job was to pretend to be his secretary while keeping a lookout for potential threats.

Why did a former gang member need a personal bodyguard? That's still beyond me but I was getting paid on par with a surgeon to save this one guys life so I wasn't really complaining.

Calix had yet to step into the limelight, standing a few feet away, engrossed in his tablet. I kept him in my peripheral vision while scrutinizing every man entering the large press room.

He was dressed in the suit pants and white shirt from this morning, cinched around his biceps clearly since he had taken off the blazer. I would also be a liar if I didn't say I didn't occasionally stare at the way his body fitted nicely into that outfit.

I'm not a brick wall alright, a girl has needs!

Straightening up, my gaze drifted back to the rest of the conference hall. Despite the crowd suggesting a routine presentation of ATech's latest software, some individuals seemed to have ulterior motives and my job was to weed out any potential problems.

I knew most of these men entering the room weren't just here to gauge the release. They were waiting for the confidential meeting after this.

Jace leaned close, drawing my attention before muttering, "You've been eyeing every man that's walked in. Any favorites?" He teased.

I scoffed, replying, "Just assessing the crowd," as our attention focused on a man in a navy suit flanked by two bodyguards. He wore sunglasses, scanning the room before moving deeper inside.

"Marco Ricci," Jace murmured, "Director of Cyberez, a competitor for ATech's software release."

Smirking, I whispered to Jace, "Also the son and former heir of the Ricci Mafia."

His eyes widened in surprise. "You did your homework, Evans," he remarked. I researched every attendee to identify potential threats. Marco Ricci topped the list with his former mafia ties, power, and wealth, though his motives remained unclear.

"Of course, just noting down any suspects," I replied, observing Ricci approaching the stage, trailed by his bodyguards. He reached the front, and removed his sunglasses, revealing a severe scar across his face from forehead to cheek over his left. I kept a blank face, trying not to react to such a gruesome gash.

The reason Marco was a former mafia heir was that his entire family was wiped out during a gang war almost 2 decades ago, taking the name 'la fine' meaning 'The end'. Very little is known about it except that it is known as the worst gang bloodshed ever to exist in this city with very few survivors. Marco was one of them, but the massacre almost rendered him blind with irreversible damage to his left eye and minor defects in his right eye.

With Calix engrossed in statistics, Ricci stood about a foot away, unsuspecting and silent. I closely monitored him, anticipating any actions that might lead to me failing my job on the first damn day. As Ricci withdrew his hand from his pocket, I moved forward, hand on my gun, ready to take a clear aim at his head but Jace intervened.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me back before whispering, "Fortunately, Marco isn't an immediate threat." I stepped back as Calix acknowledged Ricci, their hands connecting in an open gesture.