Day 8

Just over 20 years ago...

It was prom night for Elmore Junior High, and everyone was crowded together, waiting in anticipation for the announcement of the coveted Prom King and Queen awards.

Suddenly the door behind them opened and Richard entered the prom room, in makeup and a large royal-looking cape.

The other students stepped aside, confused by his appearance, whilst Principal Brown and Jackie watched from atop the stage, equally as confused.

"It's now the moment you've all been waiting for... time to announce this year's prom king!" Principal Brown announced.

"Yes, I'm here!" Richard excitedly called out, causing the entire audience to gasp in shock.

"Thank you! Yes, it's me! Yes! Ha-ha!" He climbed onto the stage and put the crown on.

"Thank you! Thank you! This moment is much bigger than me!"

"Uh, hardly..." Harold remarked.

"I just want to say to all the losers out there, there's gonna be people along the way who will try to take things away from you, but don't let them, because–"

Principal Brown interrupted him and removed the crown from his head. "Watterson, we're gonna have to take the crown away from you."

"But I'm the king!" He pulled out a note. "It says so right here in this letter. It's got your signature!"

"Did you take a good look at this letter? It is literally signed, 'Pwincipul Bron'."

"But... who would do this?"

Harold began laughing, shortly followed by everyone else in the crowd. Everyone except one blue cat in a pink puffy dress, with her hair done up, who instead looked horrified as Richard wiped his makeup, and his pants fell down.

He began to laugh awkwardly, before slowly transitioning into crying, causing everyone else to laugh even harder.

As Nicole watched her face turned to one of sympathy, as her ears lowered, distraught to see Richard be humiliated in such a way.

As tears began to stream down his face, Richard pulled up his pants and ran out of the room as he sobbed into his paws, everyone pointing and laughing at him.

"Richard, wait!" Nicole called out as she ran after him.

She ran out of the room but couldn't see him anywhere. Where had he run off to?

As she walked around she listened out for him, her cat-like hearing making it pretty easy for her to hear where he was.

The sound of his crying led her to the front steps of the school, where he sat sobbing.

"Richard?" She called out quietly as she sat down next to him.

He looked up at her and sniffed weakly. "Nikki? Why are you here?"

"To make sure you're okay of course. I couldn't just leave you on your own after what Harold did to you."

He let out another sob as the tears continued flowing. "How could he get my hopes up like that? Humiliate me in front of everyone? I've never felt so embarrassed in my life!"

She wrapped her arms around him in a tight hug. "Because he's a jerk and gets his kicks out of others' misery and humiliation. You can't let him get to you though. A reaction is what he wants.".

He looked up at her. "How do I do that though? Everyone's gonna remind me of it, gonna be laughing at me!"

She placed her paw on top of his. "Just ignore them. Don't say or do anything to give them a reason to continue."

"I don't know if I can..." He said quietly, his voice breaking as it did.

She squeezed his paw and gave a reassuring smile. "Hey, don't worry. I'll be there to look after you. I won't let them harass you."

"You promise?" He looked at her wide-eyed as he let out another sniff.

Her smile widened as she placed her other paw on his cheek. "I promise."

They smiled and looked into each other's other lovingly, as they slowly moved closer, before locking in a long kiss, Nicole wrapping her arms around Richard's neck and pulling him closer as they did.

After a couple of seconds, they released their kiss and she smiled as she rested her head on his chest.

Richard smiled at her and wrapped his arm around her as he began to stroke her head.

"I love you so much, Nikki...I really don't deserve you...I'm just a stupid overweight loser..."

She began to purr quietly as she looked up at smiled at him. "Aww, don't put yourself down...you're an amazing guy!"

"Really?"

She nodded. "It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I love you more than anyone in the world. You showed me how to really live my life. You make me happy when no one else can. You make me feel so special. So loved. I don't care what anyone else thinks, you're my prom king, and you always will be."

"Aww, Nicole..." He teared up, holding back tears as he felt incredibly touched.

She giggled. "Oh, come here!" She gave him another quick kiss.

He looked back at the entrance of the school and sighed. "Well, I guess we should go back inside...don't want to miss the rest of the prom..."

She looked at the entrance then turned to look at the rest of the town, deep in thought.

She placed her paw on his again and looked up at him with a smile. "You know what...? Screw prom. Let's go and have a night out in town by ourselves. Just the two of us."

He looked at her in shock as he let out a quiet gasp. "What?! But you've been looking forward to prom for weeks! You told me so yourself!"

"Yeah, well, I've changed my mind. I don't much fancy going back into that room of jerks. They've completely ruined any chance of me enjoying the rest of prom. So I say screw them. Let's get out of here and enjoy what's left of our night. What do you say?"

A grin slowly formed on his face as he wiped away his tears. "I'd love that."

She smiled. "Then let's not waste any more time here."

He stood up and offered his paw. "Allow me, my lady..."

She covered her mouth as she burst into a fit of giggles.

She took his paw as he helped her up, and the two smiled at each other lovingly, walking paw in paw into what was sure to be a night to remember.