Day 18

3 and a half years ago...

It was the night of November 5th and that of course meant that the night sky was filled with the sound of fireworks, celebrating Bonfire Night.

Most people were enjoying it, including the Watterson brothers who sat on the back porch and watched the fireworks together in awe.

Suddenly their mother came out, a slight look of concern on her face. "Hey boys, have you seen your sister anywhere? We can't find her anywhere."

"She was upstairs the last I saw." Darwin responded.

"Well, your father has looked upstairs and said that he didn't see her anywhere..." She said, her ears lowering as the concern continued to grow.

The town noticed how worried she was, and Gumball stood up, holding her paw. "Hey, it's okay, I'm sure she's fine. Want us to go up and look? You know how Dad is, he probably just peaked into each room and left it at that."

She smiled weakly and let out a sigh. "Oh, you're probably right...yes, could you go and double-check for me whilst I continue searching down here? It'd be a great help."

"Sure thing Mrs. Mom!" Darwin nodded. She hugged them. "Oh, thank you! Please, let me know if you find her."

"We will, we promise." Gumball promised, and the two headed inside and upstairs to begin their search.

"Anais!?" Darwin called out as they searched the playroom on the other side of the hall. They searched the room thoroughly but there was no sign of her anywhere.

"Ani!? Where are you?!" Gumball called out, beginning to get a little worried himself.

His ears pricked up and he suddenly heard a quiet sob from the other end of the hall.

His head snapped to Darwin. "Did you hear that!?" He asked.

"Hear what?" Darwin responded, raising his eyebrow in confusion.

"That sob!"

"Sob? Dude, you're hearing things."

"No, I definitely heard it!"

"You sure?" Darwin replied not really believing him.

Gumball pointed to his ears. "Dude, trust the cat."

"Okay, okay, we'll go look." Darwin rolled his eyes.

The two went down the other side of the hall and entered their bedroom.

"Anais? Are you here?" Darwin called out.

They initially received no response, but then another firework went off outside, and they heard a yelp coming from the desk.

"Huh? Anais?" Gumball asked confused.

The two walked over to the desk and crouched down, and sure enough, there was their half-year-old sister, huddled up under the desk with her knees against her chest, shaking heavily, tears streaming down her face as she clutched her stuffed bear tightly, absolutely terrified.