Chapter 8

~Toph's Perspective~

"What?" I asked. "What is it? Katara, why'd you gasp? Hello? Is everyone forgetting that I can't see the stupid thing?"

No one said anything. Then I heard Katara whisper, just barely making any sound, "You're a firebender."

"No, I'm an earthbender," I said, exasperated.

I heard Katara sigh. "I was talking to Zuko."

Wait. What? I turned towards where I could feel Zuko sitting on the ground. "You're a firebender?" I asked.

"Guys, that's impossible," Aang said. "No one's caught a firebender in ages."

Zuko scoffed. "Says the last airbender."

"Well, guess what?" Katara shouted. "He's the last airbender because of you. Your people killed all the other airbenders! You're the reason that bending is illegal! You're the reason that we could get killed just for being ourselves!"

"Katara," I heard Aang say. "Zuko didn't do that. He's not the one who tried to wipe out my people. It was that- that Sozin guy. And his family. They did that. Not Zuko."

"Fine," Katara spat.

I could feel vibrations coming from outside. "Guys. There's someone coming up the stairs. It's Sokka and Suki."

"Who and who?" Zuko asked.

"Katara's brother and his girlfriend," Aang told him.

"Oh."

I groaned. "Can we just open the door already or do you guys need to continue gossiping?"

I felt Zuko get up and walk over to the door before opening it. Just in time, too. Sokka and Suki were waiting outside when he opened it. "Come in," he said.

I sighed. "Just come in. We'll explain everything."