Chapter 9

~Sokka's Perspective~

"So, yeah. That's, um, that's basically the whole story," Aang said.

"Wait," I said. "So, let me get this straight, this new kid saved Toph and knew she was an earthbender and he happens to be a firebender."

"Well, he hasn't confirmed the last one yet, but, basically, yeah."

"Why don't you just ask him then?" I asked.

"Huh," Aang said. "That's a good idea. So, are you a firebender?"

The new kid, Zuko, nodded. "Yeah."

"Toph?" I asked.

She nodded. "He's telling the truth."

"Wait," Katara said. "I need to know something else. That Sozin guy? Are you connected to him? In any way."

"Other than both of us being firebenders?" Zuko said. "No."

"Toph?" Katara asked, holding Zuko's steady gaze.

Toph bit her lip. "He- he's telling the truth," she said, fidgeting with her hands nervously.

"Oh, Katara, um, Gran-Gran is asking if you can come home early to help her prepare dinner," I told my sister.

"Oh! I could go now, I guess. See you, Aang," she said, before leaving the room.

We stayed silent for a few moments before Toph said, "She's gone."

"Great," I said. "Now. Why'd you lie?"

"Because," she said. "Katara hasn't really given Zuko a chance. Even if he is connected to Sozin somehow, which he is because he was lying, he didn't do those things. But if I told Katara that he was connected to Sozin, she'd never even try to be nice to him. Plus," she added, turning to face Zuko, "this makes us even. You saved me. Now, I saved you."

Zuko smiled at her. "Thank you."

She smirked. "No problem. I don't like being in debt anyway."

"So how exactly are you connected to Sozin?" my girlfriend, Suki, asked, speaking for the first time since we got here.

"Yeah, I'm curious as well," Aang piped up.

"Me too," Toph said.

"Yeah," I added. "Tell us how. And this time, give us the full story."