Chapter 6

CARSTRAIN STREET SUBWAY STATION, VELERIO, ATLIS PLANET GAVESO
ATLIS PLANET
SEPTEMBER 2, 2100

The day started off like any other. Lieutenant Frank Medley traveled from his Velerio City loft to the Carstrain Street Subway Station. He, once again, stopped at Vivian's Bakery, a little cafe tucked between two apartment buildings. Frank ordered a blueberry muffin and a black coffee.

He checked his watch. "Better head to the station before the 7:30 train gets here," he told Vivian. He thanked her and left.

He continued down the sidewalk and turned onto Carstrain Street. The huge subway station occupied most of the block, surrounded by a few apartments and small shops. People slipped in and out the revolving doors. Most wore business suits or their formal officer wear, being, Gaveso was a large military planet for Atlis.

Frank crossed the street and went to through the doors. The lobby held many shops, selling their pre-wrapped baked goods and a huge central fountain, surrounded by benches and a skylight above it. Beautiful floral arrangements and greenery grew in pots, spotted around the lobby.

He crossed the lobby to the main station entrance when suddenly, gunshots erupted. Frank turned and raced to where he heard the sound. A man held a woman in a choke hold, while another held a gun to her head. Frank, equipped with his own Atlis instated pistol, pulled it out and pointed it at the man holding the woman.

"Let her go," Frank said.

"Put down the gun or I'll shoot," the man holding the gun command.

Instead of listening, Frank acted quickly. He put a bullet through the head of the man holding the woman, but when he turned to the other, he was gone.

The woman was saved, but things were about to change.