4. Girl in New Orleans

_______________________

Alex sits on the couch, flipping through a book while she talks to Agnes. Over at the coffee table, Rebekah sits and types on a laptop Alex says, "I told you, Agnes, I feel great!" 

Agnes says, "You are overdue for a checkup." Alex says "What am I gonna do? Pop into the Quarter for a quick ultrasound. A pregnant werewolf-witch escorted by a witch? Nothing to see here!" 

Rebekah says mildly jealous "A lot of women would kill to have a child. It strikes me as odd that you're not taking better care of yours." 

Agnes says, "I know a doctor out in the Bayou, off the beaten path. Now, I took the liberty of making an appointment for you. Tonight, after-hours, just us. Vampires will never get word of it." 

Alex thinks for a moment and rolls her eyes in reluctant agreement Alex says, "Okay, fine. Bayou-baby-doctor it is." 

The Bayou Clinic

It's dark, and Agnes drives Alex up to the obstetrician in the Bayou in her car. Owls hoot in the background

Alex says, "This is the doctor's office?" 

Agnes says, "Dr. Paige is only this far out because Marcel's men kept terrorizing her patients. Go! She won't bite!"

Alex nervously exits the car and walks toward the clinic. Once she's out of earshot, Agnes calls someone on her cell phone

Agnes says, "Send them in now and tell them to do it quickly." 

Dr. Paige is giving Alex an ultrasound, and we can hear the fetal heartbeats. The doctor smiles at her

Dr. Paige says, "your babies heart rates are perfect." Alex says "I knew it. their's tough ones, like  mom."

Dr. Paige chuckles and hands her a tissue to wipe the ultrasound gel off of her abdomen, which she does. As Alex sits up, Dr. Paige notices Alex's crescent-moon-shaped birthmark on her shoulder, and she smiles tightly.

Dr. Paige says, "That's a unique birthmark."  Alex says as she puts her sweater on "We're pretty much done here, right?" 

Alex gets a text from Rebekah, which reads "Where are you?" Dr. Paige says, "Your blood pressure is a bit high, I've got something for it." 

Alex watches as she walks away, to where Agnes is waiting in the next room. She texts "Bayou clinic with doctor" to Rebekah. Suddenly, a wolf howls loudly, startling Alex. She gets up to look out the window and sees a car's headlights approaching, which makes her suspicious and anxious. Dr. Paige returns with her medication.

Alex says, "Ahh, you know, I'm-I'm actually not that good with pills." Dr. Paige says "Heh, neither am I, truth be told." Dr. Paige sets the medicine cup on the table and starts preparing something. A group of intimidating-looking men walk into the clinic and whisper something unintelligible to Agnes.