6. Fruit of the Poisoned Tree

_______________________

Klaus and Elijah sit opposite each other in the living room as each of them read their own book. Klaus is reading "A Poison Tree" by William Blake, and Elijah is reading one of his mother's grimoires. A dead girl lays on the coffee table, her neck bleeding from puncture wounds in her neck, while they listen to classical music. After a moment, Rebekah enters the room.

Rebekah says, "So, this is what you do the first time we're back together as a family? Vampire book club?"

Klaus says, while reading "Reading edifies the mind, sister. Isn't that right, Elijah?"

Elijah says, " Yes, that's quite right, Niklaus."

Rebekah says, "And what's this business?" She gestures to the dead girl on the table

Elijah says, "This is a..." He gestures as though he's searching for the word"peace offering."

Klaus says, and sighs "I presumed, after so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my big brother might be a bit peckish."

Elijah says, annoyed "And I explained to my little brother that forgiveness cannot be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change in behavior that indicates contrition and personal growth."

Klaus rolls his eyes guiltily, and Elijah gestures to the girl on the table

Elijah says "Not this nonsense."

Klaus says, grinning "Well, I couldn't very well let her go to waste, could I?"

Rebekah says annoyed "Well, I suppose I'll go fetch the rubbish bin because she's staining a two-hundred-year-old carpet."

Elijah looks up from his book to see the girl bleeding out onto the table, where the blood drips onto the floor

Elijah says, "Ah, yes."

Klaus reads "A Poison Tree" by William Blake

"I was angry with my friend [Klaus looks at Elijah] I told my wrath, my wrath did end. I was angry with my foe [In the French Quarter, Marcel walks into the Palace Royale Hotel, looking for Klaus] I told it not, my wrath did grow. And I watered it in fears, [Cami brings flowers to her brother's grave, only to find that someone spray-painted "MURDERER" in red paint across his gravestone] Night and morning with my tears; And I sunned it with smiles, [Father Kieran pulls wooden boards off of the windows of St. Anne's Catholic Church, and waves to a group of men standing outside the door to come in] And with soft deceitful wiles. And it grew both day and night, [Klaus looks over at Elijah, and then to Alex as she walks through the room and into the kitchen, her hand resting on her pregnant belly] 'Til it bore an apple bright. And my foe beheld it shine. And he knew that it was mine. And into my garden stole [Klaus watches Elijah set down the grimoire and follow Alex into the kitchen] When the night had veiled the pole; In the morning glad I see, My foe outstretched beneath the tree. "

In the kitchen, Elijah finds Alex rooting through the fridge to make herself breakfast. Elijah leans in the doorway and smiles at her

Elijah says, "Good morning."

Alex says "Hey."

Rebekah enters through the back door, dragging a trashcan behind her

Alex says " Listen, I know I'm the only one in this house that actually drinks milk, but would it kill any of you to make sure it's on the grocery list?"

Rebekah says, "Speaking of, add bleach." She stomps through the kitchen and into the living room to clean up the mess the boys left.

Elijah digs around in a cupboard while Alex pulls ice cream out of the freezer

Elijah says "You know, I do hope my siblings were hospitable to you in my absence."

Alex says, "In your absence, as you like to call it. Which is a way-too-polite way of saying that your brother put a dagger in your heart she looks up to see Elijah bringing a bowl, a spoon, and a bag of cereal to the counter I have been attacked by French Quarter vampires, I've had to live in a house with a secret dungeon full of coffins, and I was nearly murdered by witches who are convinced my babies are Lucifer."

Elijah smiles sympathetically as he pulls orange juice and milk out of the fridge, pours Hayley a bowl of cereal, and then fills it with milk. When Alex realizes that they had milk all along, she looks slightly guilty and embarrassed.

Alex says, beat "Oh... milk. They've been fine. Your siblings are weirdly protective."

Elijah says, "I'm just happy to see that you're in one piece."

He smiles at her and hands her the bowl of cereal "So, back to the murderous witches. I have some concerns."

Alex says, worried "They're evil. And, my life is still magically linked to Sophie Deveraux, which is not comforting."

Elijah says, " Yes, I think it's time we took care of that little problem."

Rebekah suddenly re-enters the kitchen, dragging the corpse of the girl Klaus killed across the floor behind her with Alaila following her Alaila hugs Elijah and Mani walks in and hugs Elijah he hugs his sisters.

Alaila says, "I am all for it. As soon as they're unlinked, we get to leave this crap town. Who do we have to kill?"

Elijah says, considering this for a moment "Probably no one."

Alex gives a look of disbelief. Elijah rolls his eyes and sighs

Elijah says, "Alright, potentially everyone." he turns to leave.

_________________

Hope you enjoyed it. You'll have to wait till Friday for another chapter! Sorry for the late updates...I've been really busy.