12. The Lovers That Care Forgot

Luke is chopping firewood near his trailer when Alex finds him

Alex says, "You wanna stop playing mountain man and explain why you kept this from me?"

She holds up the brown leather journal, and Luke sighs before dropping his axe

Alex says, "Why don't I jog your memory?"

She starts to read from the journal

Alex says, "The werewolves' power can be traced back to the myth of the Unification Ceremony, a ritual that bestowed certain unique abilities onto every member of the pack."

Luke looks guilty but remains silent

Alex says, "Do you believe this?"

Luke says, "I didn't at first. And then Ansel swore he saw it with his own eyes. And then he dies, and I found out he was resurrected from a thousand years ago, which means he was alive to see it!"

Alex says, "How did I not know about this?"

Luke says, "You didn't grow up out here. Yeah, every kid grows up hearing the stories. Back in the day, werewolf bloodlines were all distinct, right? Some had speed, some had strength, and some could sense enemies from miles away. Now, to evolve, we would perform a ritual. A shaman would marry the alphas of each bloodline, and then the special abilities of each would be... inherited, mystically, by everyone who participated in the ritual. See, after a few centuries, everybody had the same abilities, so alpha marriages became political. They became about... power, about territory."

Alex takes a moment to silently consider this information

Alex says, "But I have a unique ability. Because I'm a hybrid, I can control when I change! So, if this mystical marriage thing works, then-- then our people get my power, and they can ditch the rings!"

Luke looks torn, but Alex mostly looks excited

Alex says, "Which means the witches no longer have a hold over them!" Luke nods silently "Luke, this is exactly the answer that we've been looking for! Let's find a shaman, we'll say some vows. Hell, we'll make it a party!" 

Luke says, "It ain't just a party. If the vows ain't honored, it doesn't work."

Alex's face falls when she realizes the implications of this ritual

Luke says, "It's gotta be a real marriage, in every way, for the rest of our lives. Are you up for that?"

Alex looks as though she wants to say something, but can't find the words. Luke looks hurt

Luke says, "Didn't think so."

He returns to chopping firewood, leaving Alex alone to think