four

✰

"So what did the Colonel want with you?" Kit asked as she skipped into step with Jake, who rolled himself away from the hanger bay where the ampsuits were located. She'd been with Trudy who had told her about his request to see Jake. Naturally this brought out the inquisitive side of the zoologist as she caught up with her friend. 

Jake, in his mind, knew he couldn't tell her. He didn't know why but it seemed wrong for her to know that he was going to be reporting all their intel to the Colonel. He didn't like lying but figured right now, there was nothing important enough to share - so he didn't tell her. "Nothin', just a marine checking in. Wants me to know there are still army guys here basically." 

Kit scoffed, "as if you could forget about them, everywhere you turn they're there." Proving her point a squad of six came round the corner, going round the pair. 

"Nice jacket by the way," Jake mentioned off handedly, noticing how she was now wearing a white lab coat with various devices attached to her. To the marine, she looked majority sciency now. 

"Oh you like it?" Kit did a small twirl in front of him, the lab coat fanning out at her sides. "It even has mine name on it," she pointed to the label where her Doctor Kit Miller was written in blue script. 

"Oh yeah, have a matching one for your avatar yet?" Jake teased, 

Kit shook her head, "not yet, good idea though." They walked through the grey corridors. "But for some reason a lab coat in the forest doesn't seem like a good idea," the zoologist joked as they got nearer the bio lab. They were going on their first outing today, there was no time to waste on Pandora. 

Kit was taking two cameras and one tablet to record her findings on their expedition. She'd looked at them previously this morning as the days on Pandora were longer, they had more time to get things complete. Her circadian rhythm seemed to be adjusting already, which was strange as that usually took months for adaptation. It was most likely a side effect of the cyro sleep and then being thrown into a routine. Her body didn't seem to know any different, not that she was complaining after all. 

"Can't imagine why not," Jake remarked sarcastically. Kit shoved him lightly and skipped over to her link bed. 

"That attitude of yours is gonna get you in trouble, marine." 

Grace nodded as she walked past, "you got that right." She went straight to Jake who was putting himself in the same position as Kit, ready to link. "Just keep your mouth shut and let Norm and Miller do the talking. That son of a bitch has screwed up this programme enough, all this - " Grace gestured around the link room, "exists so we can go out there and build a bridge of tryst to these people, who could teach us so much. But thanks to Quaritch and his thugs the Na'vi won't even talk to us anymore." 

"Then how's this supposed to work?" Jake's eyebrows raised, not seeing how this could be positive at all. 

"We have new faces," the lady in charge turned to Norm and Kit, "they're fluent," she cast a look at Kit, "mostly, and have studied the culture. They're non-threatening. The ones we know best - the Omatikaya clan - may give them a chance. Maybe you both can get them back to the table before things go tits-up for good."