seven

[ please don't be a silent reader and comment or vote - it makes a difference ]

"Jackie, I'm unavailable for the foreseeable future so is there any chance we can postpone the hexapede observation," the zoologist explained to one of the staff members who sat at her desk. There were many scientists who didn't have a specified department like Norm and Kit, they therefore helped out with all leading heads and operations. The science department couldn't run without them.

The woman tapped on her tablet not looking bothered, knowing that Dr Miller had a valid reason, they'd all heard about how the Marine and herself got separated from the group. "That's fine, no worries. The botany department have brought in two obesus rotundus and pseudocycas altissima so we're creating an artificial terrarium," her voice went higher at the end and she seemed excited. "And all active missions know to take more pictures than normal, and record any creature that they can." 

"Perfect," Kit didn't want to fall behind in her work whilst also experiencing the Omatikaya clan, "let me know how the terrarium goes, yeah?" 

"Sure thing." 

Her hand tapped the metal table and she smiled at Jackie as they said their goodbyes. The zoologist spoke to a few more people before heading to the link room where she could hear Norm lecturing Jake on the importance of Eywa. "She's their deity. Their goddess, made up of all living things. Everything they know! You'd know this if you had any training whatsoever and didn't leech onto Kit like a lifeline." 

The marine glared from his place seated, wishing he could stand up to get in his face for that last comment. The zoologist slapped Norm upside the head and glared at him, "we're friends there's no leeching, and maybe you'd have more if you weren't being an ungrateful ass." She liked Norm and could see how this whole situation could be frustrating for him since he had literally trained for this yet got nothing. That still didn't give him a reason to be rude. 

"Yeah, and who's got a date with the chief's daughter," Jake wiggled his brows purposely antagonising. 

Grace pushed the Marine down and gestured for Kit to get in her pod, "Knock it off. It's like kindergarten around here." She leaned over Jake. "Let's go. Village life starts early. Don't do anything unusually stupid and for God's sake listen to Miller." 

Kit's link closed and there was a flash of white as her consciousness transferred. Her yellow eyes blinked open to see she was still in her hammock, the sides unfurled around her at her touch and she sat up. There was hardly anyone in the hammocks, even though she and Jake were linking early, it seemed that everyone was already up. Tay'kat was already out of his hammock and upon closer look so was Neytiri. 

The zoologist crouched and jumped from her hammock, it swayed slightly from the movement but Kit was thankful to be on sturdier ground. A gasp from her side startled her and her tail swished quickly, Jake was being overdramatic in his wake up. Kit went to stand by his hammock and grinned down at him as it opened. "Fancy seeing you here, Marine. Heard you've got a hot date," she sounded positive when her insides cracked at the idea. But it wasn't really her business who Jake had feelings for so teasing was all she'd do.