Ch. 23 Be My Forever

AN: the song Y/N writes is Most of All by Brandi Carlile. I do not take any credit for it, I thought it perfectly fits the story.
Thanks for reading Almost the last chapter! ❤️

~

3 weeks later.

Things were in full swing. You had put your 2 weeks notice in at the diner with an understanding with Tom to call you if he was ever in need of anyone to fill in here and there. Clyde didn't mention you not working again. You decided after your little health scare to take a serious look at your life and your priorities. It wasn't healthy to stretch yourself so thin there was nothing left. It wasn't fair to Clyde or your family who loved you, and most importantly it wasn't fair to yourself. You had to play a pivotal role in your own life and you were happy to do it. Happy to see where everything would lead. Where Clyde and you would go with the future.

But first it had to get a little crazy before anything could play out between a new house and the bar reopening. However, with all of the craziness you could honestly say you had never felt better. You were still tired because you were still busy, but your headaches were gone, and you were so happy to be back. To be fully yourself.

Your last day at the diner was bittersweet. Everyone stopped by and asked to sit in your section. Sylvie, Jimmy, and Sadie came by for an early breakfast before school and work, Dolly came in and joined Hank for a cup of coffee a little later, Joe and his brothers came in for lunch sharing laughs and music facts with you, then Mellie and Clyde came in for an early dinner. It reminded you of the first time he came into the diner almost exactly a year ago. The two of you eyeing each other from across the diner sharing a knowing smile with a lifetime of meaning behind it that before made you blush but now made you long for him.

Saying goodbye was a little sad. You gave Jenny a hug despite the bumpy start to your relationship, but respect had grown and a friendship developed making a few tears prick your eyes. Tom grunted and groaned as you forced a hug but he took a deep breath and gave a gentle squeeze showing his appreciation for you. It was sad but it felt right like you had made the right decision. As you left many wished you goodbye and see ya laters as you promised discounts at the bar which made everyone hoot and holler as you walked out the door.

Now it was the grand opening of the bar and you were so excited, but Clyde on the other hand seemed a little too nervous. He wanted everything to be perfect in its own way. He wanted the place to feel like home and familiar but it was desperately in need of some updates. Clyde also didn't want the place to lose its West Virginian touch and style welcoming everyone as one of their own, a part of the family, and he counted on you to help with that. In which you didn't mind but something else was eating at him, and you weren't sure what it was but you were going to be supportive.

"Don't ya dare peek Sunshine." Clyde gently ordered in his low gruff as he guided you into the middle of the bar. Your eyes were squeezed shut in preparation for seeing the bar completely done. The night before you had been there finalizing the grills new short menu surrounded by boxes, trash, and decor that still needed to be hung on the walls. Clyde stopped your movements by tugging your hips, "alright ready?"

With a grin you nod enthusiastically, "yes."

"Okay take a look." he answers and his hand goes to the small of your back tracing a nervous circle.

Your eyes pop open and take in the new view. New lights had been hung over the reupholstered pool tables, the wood tables had been re-sanded and stained to match the bar, the overwhelming amount of boxes had been stashed away, new neon lights had been arranged on the walls brightening the place up nicely, then you spotted it the new little addition added in your corner. A small stage. Excitement and astonishment rushed through you, taking a few seconds you turn slowly taking it all in, "Clyde, it looks so good in here. I can't believe it."