Ch. 3 A Diner Daydream

Glancing up at the big worn clock hanging above the diner's cashier stand. It was 9:15am and you were pouring your 30th cup of coffee for two older gentlemen in a booth in the corner. You were feeling the fatigue of the early morning 7am shift start to weigh you down.

"Order up", Tom hollers as he shoves food through the window sill.

"Coming" you respond as you quickly make your way slipping behind the counter.

"Behind you" Jenny says in passing as she reaches for some condiments.

"It's busy this morning. Is it always like this?" you ask as you grab the food and check the ticket for the table number.

"Only on the weekends", Jenny answers, giving you a regretful look.

"Hurry up and get those out. I got another order comin' up." Tom blurted out.

Rolling your eyes playfully, "I'm guessing Tom isn't a morning person."

"I heard that." He retorted.

"You were supposed to", you say with thick sarcasm, everyone in earshot laughs. Including a few customers sitting at the long old fashioned counter. You flash a sweet smile to enforce the joke.

Taking the order to the table you place it down with a smile. Double checking to make sure they had everything they needed you head back to get the other order. Once everything was delivered and your tables were content for a few minutes you lean behind the counter pouring yourself a second cup of coffee. As you stood there sipping you realized how much you really liked your job. The people of town were kind. When customers came in you enjoyed talking with them, getting a little glimpse into the different parts that make up the town. You also liked your coworkers Jenny and Tom.

Jenny was very extroverted and chatty with the same local twang. Average height and skinny with that cute girl next door quirkinesses. She was close to your age and took you in excited to have a new friend to work with. Most of the time you just listened to her talk, giving you the inside scoop of town. Tom was just like any other middle aged man who's been working the same job for far too long. He's a big grumpy teddy bear, but in a drunk uncle type of way and for the most part you liked him.

"How'd it go last night?"a way too energetic voice asked.

"It went really well I think. I have another set tonight"

Jenny clapped, "look at you! That's so exciting!"

You couldn't help but smile while the mug hovered over your lips, "yeah it was fun."

"I'm comin' by tonight since I don't have to work late"

"With you and my Aunt I'll have my own little fan club forming" you laughed.

"Oh yeah, I'll be cheering right there with Dolly!" she laughed as she scooted next to you to grab her a cup of coffee. A moment goes by and the two of you are silently enjoying your coffee when she adds with a devious look, "Plus I'll get to see that hunk of a bartender Clyde."

Her words almost made you choke on the warm liquid in your throat. You played it off by slowly taking another quick swig then asking, "You and Clyde?"

"Nothing official, just a lot of flirting." She gave you a wink. "I've been trying to climb that tree for years."

"Oh okay" you snap back starting to rethink everything.

"He went to school with my older brother Joe. Plus everyone knows the Logans. He is also a vet and I just feel bad ya'know, about the whole arm thing."

You just nod your head reassuring her you were listening to her. Trying to understand where she was coming from was a little irritating because he was a person like anyone else and shouldn't be pitied for something out of his control. However, you kept your thoughts to yourself because you genuinely hoped that wasn't exactly what she was trying to come across as.