Chapter 22

Harold flipped the pages of the folder he was holding in front of Anthony. He patiently waited while his boss read each paper carefully before putting his signature in. No conversation was exchanged during these times. This was how the two worked. They can understand each other even without words.

Loud knocks interrupted the two, Anthony didn't even need to ask who it was because the guy had already invited himself in. Harold closed the folder in his hand on routine when he saw who he it was. James came in.

While Anthony exchanged looks with James, Harold's hand instinctively reached for his pocket and slyly took out an almost flat little device and pressed on it twice. He easily and subtly aligned it to the metallic screw under the table and it attached itself like a magnet. He did it so flawlessly without anyone noticing him as if he had done it a thousand times.

Anthony Grayson had two secretaries.

Harold Denney handled all the regular jobs of a normal secretary. He manages the schedules, reviews reports, coordinates with the other employees and all other work that a secretary usually does. He is 55 years old and had worked with Anthony for 15 years. He was a bit too old for the job but to Anthony, he was indispensable.

Before Harold, Anthony changed secretaries frequently. Nobody could do the job like he wants to. They are all either too loud, too uncoordinated, disorganized or too slow.

A recommendation came in Anthony's table about a very notable person known to have been working with the top companies in England and Russia who coincidentally was trying to relocate to the United States. After thorough background checks like how he usually does to his employees, he hired him. Anthony already knew during the first few days that this man will stay with him for a long time. He was everything he wanted for the job. He knew how to do the job well. He was fast, smart, organized and adaptable. He doesn't ask question, he was quiet, he understands what Anthony wants and he stuck to his job and his job only.

James Whitton, on the other hand, did the secret side jobs that nobody else needed to know. He did not have a physical office, he does not have a desk but he had every resources available on his dispense. The young lad was only 36 years old and had been a homeless teenager for years before Anthony took him in. He taught him things that teenagers shouldn't even know. The guy was naturally smart, curious, extreme, rebellious but at the same time faithful. Because Anthony had given him a life he never experienced before, he gained all his trust and respect. He became Anthony's secret right hand man. He handles the dark side of the Grayson communications. He monitors enemies, he investigates suspicious people and movements in the business, he does the dirty works for Anthony, and he is in charge of looking over Alexander and Gabriella.

James just coming in out of nowhere was a natural occurrence that happens not very often. No matter how important the business is between Anthony and Harold, even if it was a very sensitive business deal, as soon as James walks in, Harold needs to step out. That was an unspoken rule. But today, Harold knew James was going to come in and he knew it was because of the news that came out in the morning.

Harold finally arranges the folders back and neatly piled them again on the table. "I will be in my desk then Mr. Grayson" he finally uttered before casually leaving the two.

He headed straight to his desk and sat down. He quietly pulled his drawer and lifted a secret compartment to grab a device that was attached to a headset and immediately pressed a record button. He pulled one of the earpods and placed it in his ear. He opened his computer and opened his reports and started doing his job while listening. Nobody questions him when he does this. To avoid everyone's suspicion, he had always put on an earphone whenever he sits in his chair and does his work and plays music in it. One time, the new receptionist had playfully pulled the earphone from his ear and listened to it. She then started a gossip that Harold was secretly a genius because he listens to Beethoven during his work.