Chapter 13

carousels and Ferris heights

It kind of felt weird exploring his village after so much time of isolation. This time Matthias was staying with him, to check if people would hurt Emil.

The protective side of Matthias was pretty scary. Since he was literally a ray of sunshine seventy percent of the times, you wouldn't expect him to get serious or even aggressive. That was Lukas' thing.

So here they were, in the square, trying to approach people. That amount of people was low-key scaring Emil. So much, that at some point he was shaking so badly Matthias had to take him somewhere less crowded to let him calm down.

When they came back to the square, Emil finally gathered some courage to approach a stranger that looked nice and friendly so they could talk, but when he got close enough to start a conversation, the guy got up from the bench he was sitting on and rushed to another side of the square.

Emil looked back at Matthias, who only shrugged.

He had to find someone else...

He tried to approach other people, who just looked really busy and left right before Emil could stutter any word.

He was about to give up, when someone tapped his shoulder.
He turned around and it was a lady.
She had long, blond hair and a slim body. She kind of made Emil question his sexuality again.

«hey, kiddo, need anything? Are you lost?» she asked. She lost that charm when she said "kiddo".

«n-n-no...» Emil said, «I w-w-was just tr-trying t-to m-m-make some f-friends»

«oh...»

The lady walked over him and left, leaving Emil all lonely again. He sighed, then put on the hoodie's hood and walked back to Matthias.

«what's up, Em?» he asked as soon as Emil got closer.

«no-nobody wants t-t-to b—e my f-f-friend...» he murmured, as he fastly headed to their house's street and running towards it.

He knocked on the door as loudly as he could and after a while Lukas opened.

«hello, Em» he said, looking...wrong? Emil didn't know why he looked wrong, but...he did. He looked better, and just found out he forgot to out in his cross hair clip. It felt pretty weird.

Emil didn't say anything, he just walked in and sat in his "emo corner", how Matthias called it.
It was basically the corner of the corridor between his bedroom and the bathroom, he often went there crying or just be the emo he once was.

Lukas reached him, then sat in front of him.

«what's up?» he asked. His voice didn't fit at all that sentence. It felt too...too gen z.

«no-nobody...» he mumbled,  «no-nobody w-w-wants me...»

Lukas went silent for a moment, «listen here, Emil, it's not like nobody wants you. It's just that maybe someone is too busy to talk...and you know we want you»

Hmmm, yeah...that guy didn't look that busy anyway.

~~~

F*ck, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck!
How could be that possible?!
Why the ever-loving f*ck did that happen?
Was it true? Was he just faking it all along? Was that true attraction, was that only friendship?
No, he liked him!

He liked Emil...a friend he knew for barely three months and that he texted once or twice a week.

Their relationship wouldn't work anyways! They were too different and too far away from each other, and probably his brother wouldn't like him! Talking about brothers, what if Yao didn't accept Emil? Like, he was Norwegian, and Yao didn't like western people...