The New Plan

A/N

This chapter was written by my best friend @Slytherin_3. Love you boo! 

The How was quiet, nobody dared speak a word. The tension was palpable as Peter had just finished explaining his new plan. Trumpkin finally got up and looked angry as he called out the high king.

"Cakes and kettledrums. That's your next big plan? Sending a little girl into the darkest

parts of the forest? Alone!" He yelled outraged.

"It's our only chance." Peter replied. He didn't like putting his youngest sister in the middle of this situation. After all, this was a war. But he did not see another solution. Lucy was the first one to believe. Therefore, the one most likely to find Aslan.

"And she won't be alone." Sarah jumped in. From all of them, Lucy was in her opinion the bravest of them all. When no one believe, but she did.

"Haven't enough of us died already?" Sadly asked Trumpink.

Trufflehunter tried to reason with him. "Nikabrik was my friend too. But he lost hope. Queen Lucy hasn't. And neither have I."

"For Aslan." Reepicheep said believing and trusting the great lion would come.

"For Aslan!" a bear said as well.

"Then I'm going with you."

"No. We need you here." Lucy said to Trumpkin, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"We have to hold them off until Lucy and Sarah get back."

"And how might you suggest we do that?" Susan intervened. She was always the most logical one. Susan also disagreed with Peter, her sister was no bait to be thrown to the wolf. Caspian stepped in.

"If I may...Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer...but as king, he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people. There is one in particular that may buy us some time."

"We all need time," confessed Peter looking at the Telmarine.

//

"Perhaps they intend to surrender." Suggested general Glozelle to his king.

"No. They are much too noble for that." Declared Miraz. At the same time Edmund was approaching the Telmarines camp with Glenstorm and a giant.

"I, Peter, by the gift of Aslan, by election and by conquest, High King of Narnia, Lord of Cair Paravel and emperor of the Lone Islands, in order to prevent the abominable effusion of blood, do hereby challenge the usurper Miraz to single combat upon the field of battle. The fight shall be to the death. The reward shall be total surrender." Read Edmund.

"Tell me, Prince Edmund..."

"King." Contradicted Edmund smugly.

"Pardon me?"

"It's King Edmund, actually. Just king, though. Peter's the high king. I know, it's confusing."

"Why would we risk such a proposal when our armies could wipe you out by nightfall?" Miraz had all the confidence in him. After all, he was the new king and emperor of this world he claimed to be his.

"Haven't you already underestimated our numbers? I mean, only a week ago Narnians were extinct."

"And so you will be again". Edmund was pushing the man's nerves. Miraz was being over confident.

"Well, then you should have little to fear."

"This is not a question of bravery."

"So you're bravely refusing to fight a swordsman half your age?" Edmund was the clever one in the family. He was always coming up with the best lines and knew how to trigger the man in front of him. Edmund took advantage of the Telmarine's weakness. He was convinced Miraz was not brave and couldn't bear to be overshadowed by people he thought his ancestors had eliminated. Miraz on the other side was infuriating. How could a teenager stand up to him? He still was positive his force would only need a night to get rid of the Narnians. However the Telmarines king was starting to lose confidence in his most trusted lords and generals. His subjects were looking over him. Miraz needed to show power, strength and courage. Taking his sword, Miraz looked at Edmund who was smirking and said while threatening him.