two - sir, yes, sir

Monday, November 7, 1983

"(Y/N)! GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE!"

"STEVE! WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE!"

"No need to yell at him, mom," you pat her shoulder as you pass her on your way downstairs. "We know you don't really care."

"I..." She starts, then gives up. She really didn't.

"Hurry up!" Steve yells, already sitting in the driver seat of his car. You jump in, tossing your bag before you. It lands on Steve's lap, who throws it in the back, annoyed. "Took you long enough. We're gonna be late"

"Someone broke the hairdryer. And since when do you care about getting to school on time?"

"Shut up."

"Nancy Wheeler changed you. You're starting to be a good student. I'd thank her if I cared."

"Shut up!"

He drives off. You lean back in your seat, sighing. The ride is silent, at least until you get bored and turn on the radio, increasing the volume to the maximum. Steve yells exasperatedly, immediately decreasing it.

"You're a pain in the ass."

"So I'm the pain and you're the ass? I win in this situation."

"...Fuck off, (Y/n). Honestly."

"That's not very nice."

He doesn't speak to you until you reach Hawkins High School, your favorite place in the world. It was your first year there, and it was honestly not that bad. Except the fact that, ever since Steve and you started driving there together, he wanted you to keep a low profile, not wanting anyone to associate you with him. You had told him it was stupid. Your last name already gave you away and half of the students already knew.

Steve Harrington was way too popular.

"Have a good day," you mumble before getting out, lowering your face to act as if you were trying to be discreet. You start walking normally again when you catch sight of a familiar silhouette towering over others.

You snicker to yourself and quietly run towards your best friend, waiting to be close enough to jump on her back.

"Mona!" You cheer in her ear before she pushes you back, sighing.

"(Y/n)."

You both resume walking towards your class, Mona holding your little finger so that you can guide her. As usual, she was exhausted, even though she had gone to bed early the night before. She needed a lot of sleep. Anyway, she had a habit of holding onto your sleeve or finger in the morning, when she wouldn't be fully awake yet. You liked it. It made you feel like an almighty guide.

"How did babysitting go?" Mona asks as you enter the building, wincing as the buzzing sound of others talking reaches her ears, making her head throb.

"It was nice. Erica locked herself in a closet, I burned some pancakes, paid for cold pizzas, met a serial killer-superhero. Also, unrelated but Steve broke our hairdryer."

"Again?"

"That's what I was about to say."

You wince as you see your brother enter the girls' bathroom - what was he going to do in there - and then dramatically turn away when Nancy Wheeler rushes in as well. There was your answer.

"Why is Nancy even giving my brother a chance? She can do so much better," you rest your head on Mona's shoulder as you keep walking, or at least try: she was too tall for that, so you only leaned your head against her arm.