eight - the mona lisa

Wednesday, November 9, 1983

"Why did they hurt you?" Eleven asked as you were walking towards Mirkwood. Apparently she had more conversation than just a single word.

Her and Mike were walking ahead while you stayed behind with Dustin and Lucas. The cold wind played with your hair, sometimes sending a strand in your eye. The cold wind was a bitch, but you enjoyed it nevertheless.

Mike touches his chin, under which you had noticed a bruise earlier.

"Oh, that... Uh, I just fell at recess."

"Mike."

"Yeah?"

"Friends tell the truth."

He sighs. "I was tripped by this mouth breather, Troy, okay?"

You look at your two companions next to you, frowning. They seemed sad.

"Hey," you say in a low voice not to bother Mike and Eleven. "Is that guy Troy bothering you?"

Dustin and Lucas look at each other, silently deciding whether to tell you or not. You assumed you were trustworthy enough, since they turned back to you and spoke.

"Yeah," Lucas sighs. "He's a bully. Keeps bothering Dustin because he had no teeth," he nudges his friend to light up the mood.

"It's called cleidocranial dysplasia!" He retaliates. "My teeth are coming in."

"So it's a bone disease?"

"Yeah," Dustin turns to you with a smile. "I also don't have a collarbone. It's..."

"That's cool. Is that Troy guy making fun of you?"

Dustin doesn't answer, lowering his head. Lucas speaks for him.

"Yeah. Today he made fun of Will. He... He said he was dead," the boy's voice trembles slightly. "So we tried to leave and he tripped Mike."

"What a douche."

"A mouth breather," Lucas corrects.

"...A mouth breather."

You look at Dustin, who was sulking behind a bit, and slow down a bit for him to catch up to you and Lucas. You punch his shoulder gently.

"Hey, Dustin. Lucas. If you want to, I can talk to that mouth breather for ya. You know, maybe scare him a bit."

"Nah," Lucas chuckles. "We'll be okay."

"I can be pretty scary, you know."

"We know," Dustin finally looks up with a faint smile. "You were pretty scary when you surprised us in the woods two days ago."

You click your tongue.

"But we don't need help. That would be embarrassing," Lucas shakes his head.

"Oh, alright! I see," you chuckle, making them smile. "Well, if you ever change your mind," you raise your walkie talkie with a wink, "call me up. I'll have no qualms beating his ass."

"Right," Lucas laughs lightly.

"Will do," Dustin nods, back to his cheerful self. "Thank you, (Y/n)."

"No problem."

___

"Well, this is gonna be a problem," you sigh. "I should have been home about an hour ago."

"Yeah, us too," Lucas mumbles.

You had been walking for a little while, and night had fallen. You wondered whether Steve was going to notice you weren't home, but most importantly if he would tell your parents once they'd get home.