twenty - periods and chocolate pudding

Saturday, November 12 - Sunday, November 13, 1983

After a while of sulking about Nancy and Jonathan leaving you in charge of four kids and feeling like a single mother, you start to understand why they did it - Barbara was dead, and Nancy probably wanted revenge for her best friend. Plus if they managed to catch the monster's attention, it would be one danger less for Joyce and Hopper.

Still, you didn't like being responsible for the kids again. What if the government found you again? Were they even looking for you still?

...What if Nancy and Jonathan die?

So many questions. You sat next to Eleven on the bleachers, watching the boys argue about what to do.

"...how they plan to attract the Demogorgon anyway."

"Blood."

"Blood?"

"I don't know, that's what I'd try if I were them. Most predators are drawn to blood."

"Then we're lucky I'm not on my period," you giggle, only loud enough for Eleven to hear.

"Period?"

You turn to her, meeting her now familiar questioning expression. She seemed a bit worried as well, having picked up periods were about blood, and she looked at you as if searching for a wound.

"Oh, honey. I'm sorry to tell you this, but there's a chance you'll once get your period as well." If they didn't fuck her up too much in their labs, that is. "It's, hum... Blood flowing from your vagina. Down there," you try to explain as her eyes widen in horror. "A few days every month."

"Why?"

"Ugh, I've wondered the same for years," you shake your head. "It's about your body releasing some... fluids, I think. I don't know much about it. Apparently it's in case you want to make babies or something. Doesn't concern us yet, right?"

She shakes her head, still looking troubled. "Does it hurt?"

"Yeah... kinda. Depends on the person, though. For example, I get back and stomach ache, but my friend Mona is okay most of the time. She's lucky."

"Scary," she comments. You laugh.

"Scarier than the Demogargle?"

"Scarier than the Demogorgon," she repeats, nodding.

"What are you girls talking about?" Mike interrupts you. The three boys had heard you laugh and wanted to know what was so funny.

"Periods," you state, a smile growing on your face at the sight of their flustered faces. Dustin turns around first, then Mike, then Lucas, and soon their backs face you and they go back to talking about the Demogiggle, struggling not to stutter. "Boys. You'll see, periods are what my father calls a 'ladies problem'," you turn back to Eleven. "People don't like to talk about it."

"W-we can't wait around!" Mike argues with Dustin and Lucas. He wanted to go find Nancy and Jonathan.

"Mike," Lucas tries to reason with him, "in case you forgot, we're still fugitives. The bad men are still searching for us."

"And we don't have a car. Nor our bikes," you join them. "I don't see how we could get to them in time."

"Yeah," Dustin adds, "and we don't even know where your sister is."

"El can find them."

"Mike look at her!"

El did not seem capable of using her powers indeed.

"I still think we should stick to the chief's plan."

"Exactly. We stay here, keep El out of sight, and keep her safe. That's the most important thing, remember?" Lucas reminds him. "Besides, she's okay, she's with Jonathan."