twenty one - keeping promises

Saturday, November 12 - Sunday, November 13, 1983

It started with a crack in the wall.

The men started backing away, taking Mike, Lucas and Dustin with them. The gun at the back of your head wasn't here anymore, so you walked closer to the wall, only to help Eleven sit up. The man she had called Papa had left her there without thinking twice.

Then, something grew from the wall, and more cracks appeared. It looked like an egg, or a nasty bump, but alive, breathing.

Soon it became obvious something was pushing against the wall, trying to break through. The thing started banging against it, aggravating the cracks, until finally it succeeded in making a hole it could go through.

"Demogorgon," Dustin says right as the monster jumps off the gate it had just created. The men finally let go of the boys to shoot at the creature.

It looks like the D&D figurine you had seen at Mike's, but bigger and gross. A huge mouth full of teeth that opened like a flower and a slimy body overall, which made a disgusting sticky sound with each movement.

"Go, go, go!" Mike's words snap you out of your trance, and they help you carry Eleven, Dustin picking up your axe from the floor and dashing after you. You barely need to look back to know the armed men are getting decimated by the Demogoggle, their painful screams echoing in the corridors, along with the deafening ra-ta-ta of bullets.

"Come on, come on!" Lucas encourages you to go faster, and you adjust the barely conscious girl in your arms, trying to make it easier for you to carry her. Still, her weight slows you down.

"(Y/n)." She whines, voice barely a whisper that you manage to hear nevertheless. "Leave me."

"No," you simply answer, panting heavily but voice firm and confident.

"Leave," she taps your arm, trying to wiggle out if your grip but being too weak.

"I told you," you turn left, following the boys closely. "I'm not leaving you alone."

"But I want to."

"Well I want you to stay. Sorry, the promise goes both ways."

You come across other armed men, but they don't even pay attention to you, too busy shooting at something you prefer not to see.

Mike leads you to a classroom, that Lucas locks behind you. You think you recognize your old science room, but don't have time to ponder on that.

You bring Eleven to a large table in the back, followed by flickering lights and the sounds of gunshots. The boys help you set her up on the furniture, and Mike takes her hand. The two look in each other's eyes while you try to find something to block the door with. The more obstacles you'd put between that thing and the kids, the best you'd feel.

"Just hold on a little longer, okay?" Mike tells her. "He's gone. The bad man's gone. We'll be home soon."

You wish you were at home and this was just all a terrible dream.

"And my mom... she'll get you your own bed."

Were you actually wishing your mother was here? That was so dumb of you.

"You can eat as many Eggos as you want."

Actually, you'd prefer it if Steve was here. You'd be able to make a fool of him one last time.

"And we'll go to the Snow Ball together."

You had so much fun at the Snow Ball with Mona last year. You might never see Mona again. Would things have been different if you had told her everything?