three - searching for the search

Monday, November 7, 1983

You slowly vibe to your music as you put your hair in a ponytail, staring at yourself in the mirror. You looked amazing, as always.

After checking yourself out again, you walk to your closet and choose your warmest sweater, putting it on. You then check you have your flashlight and that it works. It does.

"Alright," you nod. "Let's go then."

You go to grab your jacket, but the door slams open. You scream.

"STEVE!"

Your brother leans against the doorframe, unbothered, looking at your attire with great suspicion. Maybe he was able to deduce what you were wearing wasn't indoor clothes.

"Where you goin'?"

"They're organizing a search for Will Byers. I'm going."

"No you're not," he snorts. You frown.

"Yes, I am. I wanna help. They need as many volunteers as possible."

Steve shakes his head. "But you won't be one of them. There's no way Mom and Dad would agree to that."

"They're not even here, you dunce. They're either working late or forgot to tell us they were going on a trip again. You don't need to pretend."

He nods, processing the new information. "Well I don't care. You're not going out tonight."

"Why?!"

"Could be dangerous."

"You care?"

"No, but if the parents learn, I'll be grounded. That would suck."

"Oh, please. They don't care, Steve. Now let me get out," you roll your eyes and step outside your room, only to be pushed back inside. You stare at him in disbelief. He smirks.

"You're staying here. They won't even accept you in the search, you're fifteen."

He had a point. You ignored it.

"You're annoying."

"I am? Try living with yourself for at least a day."

"Let me through," you order as you try exiting your room, again. He pushes you, again, but this time against the wall, pointing to you menacingly. You try not to react when your head harshly hits the wall. You glare at him.

"You are not going out, (Y/n). You understand?" His tone was menacing. He had never been violent before, but this time you feared he would be. You calmed down a bit.

"Asshole," you still mumbled. He narrowed his eyes at you and stepped away, grabbing something from your desk and escaping your room, slamming the door before you could even react. "Hey!"

The key turned in your door's lock. From the other side. He had locked you in.

"Steve!"

"Have fun." You could hear the smile in his voice, and you banged against it once, not to open it but out of anger. You heard his footsteps as he walked away, humming an annoyingly joyful tune.

This wasn't going to stop you.

You turned the volume of your music up so you were sure he wouldn't hear anything and opened the window. Second floor, but an extension of the first floor right below your room. With a pitched roof.

"Yeah, this is just like a slide," you convince yourself, sitting on the edge with your flashlight in hand. "Except I can't slide down or I'll fall."

You bite your lips as you slowly progress on the extension's roof, careful not to let yourself slide down.