four - eleven

Monday, November 7, 1983

The girl was sitting in front of you on Mike's basement couch. After having a closer look at her in the light of the Wheeler's house, you were sure she was a girl.

You probably should call the police now. You had brought her to Mike's house because it would be hard to make the kids climb up to your window, your only access to your house considering no one else was home.

You weren't sure why you were all hiding in the basement instead of telling Mrs. Wheeler, but you were happy about it. Steve was upstairs in Nancy's room, according to Mike, and you didn't need him to know you had sneaked out just yet.

In the meantime, you had been staring at the frightened girl with great confusion. She had not talked at all ever since you found her in the woods, only accepting your jacket when you wrapped it around her shoulders. Your hair was still dripping wet from the rain and you were entirely soaked, trembling slightly.

Maybe she wasn't supposed to talk to strangers. Maybe she was just taking a nice little walk in the pouring rain, and you kidnapped her by mistake. Anyway, you remember you're the oldest in the room and decide to act as such.

"Hi honey," you try speaking in a soft voice, crouching down in front of the terrified girl. "My name's (Y/n). We're not here to hurt you, you know. Can you tell us your name?"

She blinks, looking at you as if she didn't understand. You sigh.

"Is there a number we can call?" Mike imitates your position next to you. "For your parents?"

"Where's your hair?" Dustin asks. "Do you have cancer?"

"Did you run away?" Luca presses.

"Are you in some kind of trouble?"

"Mike, guys, calm down... Are you hurt somewhere, hun?"

"Is that blood?" Lucas reaches out to touch her, but Mike slaps his hand away as she flinches.

"Stop it! You're freaking her out!"

"She's freaking me out!" Lucas protests, offended.

"I bet she's deaf," Dustin theorizes. You nod, standing back up and giving her some space.

"Yeah, maybe she can't hear us at all."

He suddenly claps his hands, startling both you and the others, the girl included.

"Not deaf," Dustin concludes. You shake your head.

"You scared her, you narbo," you slap the back of his head softly. Still, it makes the girl flinch. "Oh, shit, sorry."

"All right," Mike says, "that's enough, all right? She's just scared and cold." He walks away to his laundry room, coming back with a bunch of clothes that he hands to her with a reassuring smile. "Here, these are clean. Okay?"

She accepts it and removes your jacket, handing it back to you silently. You take it, keeping it in your hands. It was not dry yet.

And then she goes to take her shirt off as well.

"Oh my god. Oh my god!" Dustin exclaims, horrified.

"No, no, no, no!" Lucas turns around, hiding his eyes.

"Wow, wow, wow!" You make a move towards her, startling her. Mike stops her just in time. "Not here, hun. Mike, is there somewhere she can change?"

He nods, cheeks flushed. "See over there?" He points to a door. "That's the bathroom. Privacy. Get it?"