twenty four - merry christmas

Sunday, December 8, 1983

"Merry Christmas, Will," you hand the boy the small box of quality pencils you had wrapped up with great difficulty.

He turns around, surprised, and looks down at the gift in your hands for a bit too long.

"Yeah, uhm, it's... I'm bad at wrapping things up. In both ways, ahah..." You shift embarrassedly, giving him a sheepish smile.

"No!" He exclaims, immediately taking it. "It's just, uh... I was surprised. I didn't get you anything..."

"It's fine," you chuckle. "I didn't expect you to. I just saw it while shopping with Mona and thought, hey, that would be a nice gift for my buddy Will, so there we are. Besides, it's nothing expensive since Lucas has yet to pay me back for that pizza," you narrow your eyes angrily. Truth was, him giving you the money he owed you wouldn't make much of a difference, but still. He had promised he'd do it as soon as he could.

"Thank you," Will smiles widely. "I can't wait to open it."

"You gotta wait until Christmas. I don't wanna be here to see your disappointed face if you don't like it."

"I'm sure I'll love it," he chuckles, clutching the poorly wrapped gift against his chest. "I'll put it under the Christmas tree."

"It's an honour to know my humble gift will make it under the Byers Christmas tree," you ruffle his hair, worsening his already terrible haircut.

"Oh, I see we both got our Christmas presents," Jonathan joins you in the hall of the Wheeler's house, holding a better-wrapped gift and Will's coat, handing the latter to his younger brother. "Come on, Mom is probably worried sick already."

"Who got you a gift?" Will questions as he puts on his coat.

"It's, uh, Nancy," the older boy mumbles, containing a smile.

"How nice of her," you comment. Jonathan nods.

"Yeah... We should probably go now. Will, you ready?"

"Yes."

"Then let's go," he gently pushes him outside before turning to you. "Hey, uhm, thank you for getting him somethin'. It's very nice."

"I know," you say confidently. You didn't have anything against Jonathan anymore, neither Nancy nor Steve had brought up the pictures again, so you figured it had been settled. You just wished he would stop mumbling every time he spoke, because you barely managed to catch his words. "Merry Christmas, Jonathan," your eyes fall on the gift Nancy had given him, and he raises it slightly with a smile.

"Oh, eh, thank you! Merry Christmas!"

You close the door behind him as he starts making his way towards his car, where Will was already waiting. You pass by Mrs. Wheeler, who was busy making dinner, offering some help. After all, she was kind enough to invite you and your brother over, along with Dustin and Lucas, so there was a lot of food to make. She refuses, knowing all about your cooking skills already.

You sulk as you enter the living room, collapsing on the couch next to cuddling Steve and Nancy with an agonizing sigh.

"What's up with you," Steve chuckles at your attitude.

"Mrs. Wheeler doesn't want my help in the kitchen. I thought that's where men wanted us, women, to be."

"Thank god. She's not allowed in the kitchen at home," your brother says to Nancy, who snorts.

"Shut up. Your sweater is ugly," you retaliate with great wit.

"What? No, it isn't," Steve looks down at his horrendous Christmas sweater, offended. "Nance, it's a pretty sweater, right?"