TCG: Chapter 3

"Why are you burying yourself in more work?" Anin asked as she opened the door to my office. Dressed in a tight-fit brown dress, showing she was ready for tonight.

"Because there is a lot of work to be done," I said as I lifted my head from the paperwork. While technology has advanced since I came here, papers made me feel like I was working.

"You have to get ready, you know," she said as she dropped herself on the couch and crossed her legs.

I whistled as I crossed my arms over the desk and stared at her; Anin hadn't aged a day since I met her. Her brown skin was without wrinkles, and it seemed smooth the more I looked at her.

"What?" She raised her eyebrows, which were perfectly shaped, full of hair, and perfectly trimmed. Her blue eyes shone brightly in this dim office, and her plump lips were lightly glossed.

"Are you okay, love?" She asked, a bit more worriedly now.

I smiled and nodded, leaning back on my chair.

"You look great," I whispered, and I could tell she heard me because of her scoff. "Sexy."

"Tell that to Malakhi. I called him earlier as I got ready, and the stupid Lycan didn't say anything nice," she grumbled, and I tilted my head to face her. "He didn't say anything at all," she added, rolling her eyes.

"He just stared?" I asked, amused. I would stare, too.

"Whatever he was staring at wasn't me, but whatever. I won't let it ruin our night," she said, and I giggled, taking off my glasses.

"Do you perhaps want to start the night early?" I asked as I opened the cabinet and took out a bottle of whiskey and glasses.

"Yes!" Her cheery response came, and I settled down next to her. "I hope you have a change of clothes here; you won't go to the pub wearing a pantsuit," she knitted her brows together.

"Why not? I look great in these," I said as I fixed my pants. "And they're comfortable."

"No way, Amanah, it's your anniversary, and this is what you want to wear?"

"I've been doing this for twelve years; it won't be anything special," I shrugged as I sipped my drink.

"This won't do. What's wrong with you lately? You're so gloomy and quiet; is it because Miall is gone?" She asked, her tone confusing me. It started hard but ended up soft.

"I'm used to Mial leaving," I grumbled angrily, and she raised her eyebrows. "Anin, I'm not getting any younger," I finally admitted a few of my concerns. "And Miall always leaving makes me anxious; what if he's seeing his mate and he's attracted to her?"

"He would never do that to you. You're the mother of his children, and he loves you very much. We all know that you know that," she spoke softly as she touched my shoulder.

"Like that's ever stopped any man," I cried out. "I mean, I literally got him from another woman, and I didn't care that he was committed to her. Anin, a desperate woman, can get what she wants when determined. And that alpha mate of his, she's a determined bitch."

I chewed on my lip as I unbuttoned my shirt, trying my hardest not to focus on the insecurities in my heart.

"Woah, okay, so let's try a different approach and try to convince you otherwise," she refilled my glass.

"I mean, look at me; my age is catching up. I have wrinkles forming around my eyes. I use makeup to cover my age; I can't believe this," I pointed to my face.

"You're still a gorgeous babe, and you don't look like you're in your thirties at all," she argued softly as she helped me push my arms through the straps of the dress. She somehow managed to change me.