CHAPTER 4

Aenar grunted, swinging his sword around to hit the straw man

Aenar grunted, swinging his sword around to hit the straw man. The training yard was empty as most people were in their chambers reeling from the death of the Queen and her baby. 

With every turn of his sword, Aenar slashed and did some damage. If the man were an actual human, he would have been dead a hundred times over. 

That was his intent. Every time he slashed the straw, he imagined it was a very specific human. One with silver-gold hair, purple eyes, and a gold crown he did not deserve. Not after what had transpired today. 

"Why don't you give it a rest? The man is already dead, there is no doubt about it." He heard the voice of his good-grandfather say. 

"One can never be too sure. I heard you should cut under the belly, it causes people to bleed out fast." He responded, cutting into the straw man's torso. 

Daeneth walked forward and said, "I know you're upset-" 

"Upset? My sister was just killed by her husband and my cousin. Why should I appear upset?" The Arryn asked rhetorically. 

"I take it back. Furious is the proper term." Daeneth stated moving to stand in front of his good-grandson to reveal his eyes that were red from crying and the sombre look on his face. 

"Well, if you're furious, you need a proper sparring partner. So swing at me." Daeneth told him. 

"What?" Aenar asked, breathing heavily. 

"Swing at me." Daeneth baited. 

"No." Aenar refused. 

"Why not?" The Targaryen man asked. 

"You have no sword-"

"I can get one, would you swing at me then?" Daeneth asked simply, "No need to reply. I already know the answer. You wouldn't. The question is, why not?" 

"You are my family. If I strike you, I will kill you and become a Kinslayer." Aenar answered. 

Daeneth hummed, "Hmm. You're right. You would be a Kinslayer, and if you struck who want to, you would also be called a Kingslayer."

Aenar widened his eyes at the statement, "I don't want to kill Viserys-"

"No need to lie to me, boy. I know what a murderous glare looks like. I've shot it at numerous people. Including your grandparents."

"When Jaehaerys took the throne. I felt furious. Maegor was the lawful king, as his son, it was mine by right. Even if it wasn't mine, it was my stepdaughter, Aerea's throne. So when your grandfather sat upon it, with your hypocritical grandmother by his side, I wanted to kill him, but I didn't. I didn't want to prove to everyone that I was as mad as my father." Daeneth recalled.

"Truly a touching story, but losing a throne and losing a family member is different." Aenar told him. 

"You think I don't know that, boy! I may not have had a sister, and when my wife died, I felt no such grief! I will admit, but I know it all the same!" Daeneth roared suddenly.