𝐒𝐢𝐠𝐧𝐢𝐟𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐌𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐇𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐓𝐚𝐫𝐠𝐚𝐫𝐲𝐞𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐟

Daeneth Targaryen

Daeneth Targaryen

Daeneth Targaryen was the child of Maegor The Cruel and Ceryse Hightower. He was considered a blessing to his parents who had been trying to conceive for a long time. He was described as tall and muscular with short silver hair and the dark violet eyes of Visenya. He was known to have a temper, similar to his father, yet this was influenced by his time spent in Oldtown as his uncle, Martyn Hightower's ward. 

Daeneth wasn't given a dragon egg, as there was only one surviving egg, and his cousin Viserys was born during the same time so it was given to him. Visenya fought with Aegon over this, saying that he didn't value his children as equals and that Daeneth showed much more promise than all of Aenys's children combined. 

In the summer months in which he came to Dragonstone, he was always seen with his grandmother, Visenya. She trained him herself, saying that when she passed, Dark Sister would be his. During a summer month, at the behest of Visenya, Aegon took Daeneth to the Dragonmont. Daeneth was determined to impress his grandfather, so instead of seeing the hatchlings, he went further into the volcano where he claimed a dragon named Gaelithox, who came from the same clutch as Vhagar and Meraxes, yet hatched a couple of decades later. 

During the reign of King Aenys I, his father took Daeneth and Gaelithox on missions alongside him and Balerion, against Faith Militants. Daeneth's mother, Ceryse Hightower, disliked this as she though Daeneth was too young to be exposed to war and bloodshed, yet Maegor ignored her pleas. Following the death of King Aenys I, he fought alongside his father against his cousin, Aegon the Uncrowned, for the Iron Throne. Because of his battle experience and prowess at a young age, he earned the moniker 'The Fearless'.

When his father reigned as king from Oldtown, he was named his father's cupbearer and was present in most of his small council meetings. At one point in time, Maegor fell ill and Daeneth was put to rule in his stead. When his father's two wives, Alys Harroway and Tyanna of the Tower tried to sit in on a small council meeting, he was said to have publicly humiliated them and ordered the Kingsguard to lock them in their chamber until his father said otherwise.

When his father decided to take two more wives, The Black Brides, to gain more heirs, he also betrothed Daeneth to his cousin, Rhaena Targaryen. At the time of their marriage, Daeneth and Rhaena were said to loathe each other, yet they remained silent allies as Maegor descended further into madness, and were rumored to be planning a coup. Although the two disliked each other, Daeneth was noted for being a good and kind father to Rhaena's children from her previous marriage to her brother, Aerea and Rhaella. 

After King Maegor died, a Great Council was held to decide who would inherit the Iron Throne. Although Daeneth was next in line, the Council voted for his cousins, Jaehaerys and Alyssane, to be the King and Queen. This earned the couple the resentment of both Daeneth and Rhaena. Daeneth believed himself to be the rightful heir to the throne, having been the only son of the last legitimate king, while Rhaena claimed she was the rightful Queen as the eldest child of King Aenys I.