Intermission

"What did you want to be when you grew up?"

The pattering of rain filled the tent as the water droplets hit the waxed canvas. It was cold but Bucky's hold was warm. Basil was still flushed from the kissing session they had just finished, taking advantage of the heavy rain that night to press closer and and slip hands under uniform shirts. The sound of the thunder above and the water on the tents hiding any noises from the rest of the howling commandos. Basil pitied Monty and Dum Dum, who were out on watch that night. He was safe and warm in their messy beds, held close in Bucky's arms. Dog tags resting on his bare chest as he traced mindlessly over the still healing tattoo on the skin of Bucky's right arm. The blue eyed man pressed into his side, face resting in the junction between Basil's neck and shoulder.

At Basils soft mummer, he hummed and sighed. In the dark, his hold was warm and comforting. "When I was five, I wanted to be a soldier like my dad". Basil giggled, it was another curse of his dark humour.

"How is that working out for you? The being held captive, the experiments and the narzis?"

"Well, I am not five anymore", Bucky chuckled sleepily into Basil's skin. He could feel the blue eyed man smile and it sent a thrill of warmth in his gut as the arms around his chest tightened. Their bodies keeping each other warm despite the continuing pattering of rain above them. The sound sleep lulling and soft. "But when I was ten, I thought that being a hero was pretty cool".

Basil sighed. "If those comics of cap ever become big, then we might become heroes one day". A pause. He traced the bird in the middle of a sun. Dark and hopeful, the lines still raised enough for him to trace the design without looking. His new night vision letting him see the paleness of Bucky's skin against his own golden toned chest. "I don't really want to be a hero. I just wanted to help people, even if others have never been kind to me".

"Why?" Bucky raised his head and Basil turned his own to stare at him. Rolling over so that the two men were both lying facing each other in the dark, hidden in the dark with each other.

"Partly because I wanted to know how our bodies worked, how to fix things. But I guess it was for power. Power over choosing who I wanted to live and die. That sounds dark, doesn't it?"

Bucky shrugged, one hand reaching up to play with Basil's curls. The army haircut early allowing for the waves to form but they were just about long enough for them to be noticeable. He ran his fingers through the strands and the smaller man basked in the touch. It was soft, gentle. "It's not dark because you're not dark. You wouldn't let someone die if there was anything you could do to help them. It's simply not you Parrish".

"You are a good man Sarge". Bucky leaned closer to press a kiss on the fragile skin under Basil's eye.

"So are you Parrish. Now get some rest. We are to be parachuted to a mountain tomorrow, and most likely climbing it the day after".