Chapter Twenty Three

Ender and I found Dink Meeker later in the game room. Not playing, just sitting and watching the other boys.

"A guy pointed you out," Ender said. "I'm Ender Wiggin." I kept quiet and observed the older boy.

"I know." said Meeker.
"We're in your toon."
"I know." He said again.

"I'm pretty inexperienced." I rolled my eyes. Ender had a bad habit of being passive aggressive, while simultaneously wanting everyone to like him. Subconsciously of course.

"Look, Wiggin, I know all this. Why do you think I asked Rose to get you for me?" So he had only been expecting Ender. Ender hadn't been dumped, he'd been picked up, he had been asked for. And I was the consolation prize. I took a slight step back from them.

"Why?"

"I've watched your practice sessions with the Launchies. I think you show some promise. Bonzo is stupid and I wanted you to get better training than what Petra could offer you. All she can do is shoot." I agreed with him, but I had a feeling this was an A and B conversation.

"I needed to learn that too."
"You still move like you're afraid to wet your pants." I snorted and Ender glared back at me before facing Dink again.

"So teach me."
"So learn."
"I'm not going to quit my free time practice sessions."
"I don't want you to."
"Rose the Nose does."
"Rose the Nose can't stop you. Likewise, he can't stop you from using your desk."
"I thought commanders could order anything." I scoffed.

"If that were true I'm sure the pigs would fight to have girls in their armies." I had muttered it, but it seemed Dink still heard. He stared at me a minute before continuing.

"They can order the moon to turn blue too, but it doesn't happen. Listen, Ender, commanders have just as much authority as you let them. The more you obey them, the more power they have over you." He kind of sounded like my parents, when they went on one of their hippie rants about 'The Man'.

"What's to stop them from hurting me?" Ender muttered and I narrowed my eyes at him. I remember Bonzo's blow to him just as he did.

"I thought that was why you were taking personal attack classes." Ender looked shocked that Dink knew, but I was shocked that I hadn't.

"Ender? Is that what you really did today?" He ignored me and wouldn't take his eyes off Dink.

"You really have been watching me, haven't you?" Dink didn't answer. "I don't want Rose mad at me. I want to be apart of battles now. I'm tired of sitting out till the end."

"You're standings will go down." This time Ender didn't answer. "Listen, Ender as long as you're part of my toon, you're apart of the battle. And you Sophronia." I waited as he stared at me. He looked me up and down before chuckling darkly under his breath and turning away, once again watching the boys in the game room. I looked at Ender confused, but he merely shrugged his shoulders at me. I stepped forward, annoyed at Dink's attitude.

"What about me?"
"I didn't ask for you." He still didn't look at me.

"So what are you saying? That you won't teach me? If this is just more sexist kuso then you-" I was angry, but I wasn't prepared for Dink's reply.

"I didn't ask for you, Sophronia," His gaze on me hardened and I felt Ender step closer to me. "You're Bonzo's little shadow, his Bonita, his protege. I can't trust you and I don't want to. You'll probably end up just like him, so why should I waste my time?" He turned away from me and I could feel the tears building in my eyes.

He thought I was like Bonzo, a bully who beat little kids and ruled through fear. He thought I wasn't worth the effort, and it stung. But I refused to cry, not here in front of all of these boys, and certainly not in front of Dink. I was getting ready to run from him, but once again Ender came to my rescue. He stepped in front of me and raised his arms, as if to shield me from Dink.

"And who are you to decide that! Tori is just as good as I am, better even. The only reason Bonzo wanted her was because she's so good and will become only greater. She learned from him, but so did I, and neither of us are like him. Tori is the only reason I'm here and if you won't teach her than I have no business with you! I'd rather go back to being a Launchie than let you talk to her like that." He was determined I'll give him that. I laid my hand on his shoulder, and he slowly lowered his.

"Ender please don't be stupid. You have to learn everything you can from everyone that you can learn it from. You are going to do great things, but that won't happen unless you get better. I won't be the reason for you not doing what you need to. Why else are we here?" I started in to his eyes, upset but determined. Maybe I would be separated from Ender. He was getting ready to argue with me, but Dink spoke first.

"Alright, no need to cry about it. You're slowly turning my opinion of you around Sophronia. I'll teach you both." He waved us off with his hand and Ender and I hesitated before walking away. "Victorie." I paused but ushered Ender ahead.

"I'll catch up." I assured him. Ender looked unconvinced but went off. I made my way back to Dink and waited.

"Why did you come here?"
"It's my job." I answered simply. Dink stared.

"You're not a third." It wasn't a question. He did that a lot.
"Did you check?"I asked sarcastically.

"Ender is." I nodded and waited for him to finish. "He didn't have a choice, but you did. Why did you choose this?" I sat down next to Dink, but I wouldn't meet his eyes.

"I told you, it's my job."
"Why?"
"You don't have the security clearance for that information." I was serious and he didn't laugh.
"Then tell me what your job is." I sighed.

"Ender. My job is to make sure I do everything I can to ensure that he becomes what the Teachers want him to be."

"A commander."
"The Battle Commander."

I didn't say more, couldn't say more, but Dink understood thankfully. he nodded solemnly and turned back towards the games. he and I sat there for awhile longer, observing the boys and watching as they played their war games.