Chapter Twenty One

The next morning Ender and I left the bunk room early. He had already told Petra that they should stop their sessions together, because Bonzo didn't need anything that looked like a challenge, and that she should steer clear of him.

"Besides, you're as close to being a good shot as you'll ever be." She had told him shrugging. She wasn't wrong of course and Ender knew that. Ended nodded at her, as a thank you. I suppose because kids here didn't seem to express gratitude much, and walked out of the barracks with me.

I clasped my hands behind my back as we strolled down the hallway and observed Ender.

He had brought no possessions with him; he would take none away. This whole minimalist lifestyle was confusing to me. If you were taking children away from their families their whole lives and grooming them to be warmongering killers, the least they could do was let us live our short childhoods happily and comfortably. Was this just how military life was? Or did they no longer have the luxury of making sure we were happy and cared for?

"You should do the same." I looked up at his face as we walked.
"What?" I hadn't been listening.
"You should steer clear of me for awhile too." I scoffed and walked a few steps ahead of Ender before stopping. I heard his foot steps cease behind me and I gripped my hands tighter.

His voice didn't waiver, he didn't pause, it took nothing for him to say it. I could feel his eyes on my back as I stared ahead. We were alone in the hallway. I turned my head, hands still clasped behind me, and gazed at him sadly over my shoulder.

"Don't you know me?" I had said it quietly, softly.
"Yes." He met my eyes. his face was firm, but his eyes looked sad.
"Then you should know that I'd never turn my back on you. Certainly not because someone commanded me to." I turned my head back to my front, but didn't move. Ender sighed.

"Tori-"
"No." My voice wasn't loud, but it left no room for argument. "Andrew you will not distance yourself from me again, simply because you think that you're protecting me. It's not going to work like that. It didn't last time."

"I had to try."
"Well don't." He came up behind me and put his forehead on my shoulder.
"You make protecting you so difficult."

He sounded exhausted. I turned to face him and held his face in my hands. Ender was now three inches taller than me and I had to look up at him.

"Oomay. I swear you're an idiot." I leaned up on my tippy toes and kissed his forehead. Ender blushed and looked away. "There's nothing Bonzo can do to keep me away from you." And the teachers wouldn't let it happen, considering how much they need you, I added silently. Ender nodded before hesitantly looking me in the eye.

"I need to go play the Fantasy Game for awhile. Get my mind off things." I smiled softly at him.

"Okay. you know where to find me after you get settled in. Actually on second thought, I'll find you." He should steer clear of Bonzo for awhile. Ender gave me a small smile back, and squeezed my shoulder, as if to say "Be careful", before walking away to the game room. I walked back to the barracks, just wanting to take a nap after everything that's happened.

Do seven year olds still take naps? I wondered silently. What grade was I even supposed to be in right now? First? Well Kindergarteners take naps. Were first graders still allowed to?

By the time I had gotten back to my bunk the room was suddenly silent. I looked around confused, but no one was looking at me, rather the door.

"Sophronia. My quarters. Now." The edge in Bonzo's voice made me afraid, and I dared not look back as I head his retreating footsteps. The boys around me looked uncomfortable and disturbed, some even looked at me and opened there mouths, as if they wanted to tell me not to go. I slowly made my way to the door, when I felt a hand grip my shoulder. I turned, surprised to see Petra.

"He won't do that." She emphasized the last word and stared at me as the boys looked horrified. "He might hit you and do some other things, but not that. And if he does the teachers will come." Petra sounded so certain that I wondered if she was speaking from experience, or simply repeating words from girls long gone. It didn't matter though, not right now. I nodded and thanked Petra quietly before walking out of the barracks, my head held high. That is, until I came to Bonzo's room and my hand shook so much I hardly managed to knock.

"Enter."

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Kay so short I know, but I'm updating agIn tonight or tomorrow :) trying to map out some major plot points and how I'm going to change things in the next book, which I've also started to lay the skeleton for. Super excited, hope you guys are too. Comment and vote please :)