Chapter One

I met Ender Wiggin before he was know as Ender. I met him when we were just children. Barely more than babies.

When I met Ender, he was Andrew. A sweet little four-year-old boy. One who was outcasted because he was a third. So when I saw him in the sandbox by himself, I knew I had to befriend him.

"Hi, my names Victorie, what's your name?" I asked as I held my doll.

"Andrew." He seemed confused. No one had probably ever made an effort to talk to him.

"What are you making Andrew?"

"Just a model of the Taj Mahal." He stated as if it was no big deal. I smiled wide in excitement.

"You've got a monitor, don't you?" I exclaimed in a whisper, "That's why none of the other kids will play with you." He nodded.

"So I guess that means you'll go away now too?" He stared down at his hands sadly. I smiled and got down next to him in the sand.

"Why would I do that?" I questioned as I helped him build his sculpture.

He looked at me with an unreadable expression as I helped him. It didn't take long to finish it and I just had to take a picture of it. I had a camera that hung around my neck just for things like this. I was fascinated with photos.When I looked up from my camera I looked at Ender. The sun was shinning on him and I couldn't help myself. I took a picture of him too.

"Let's go on the swings now Andrew. I'll race you!" That day will forever be in my memory. I didn't know it then but my meeting Ender Wiggin was one of the sole reasons the I.F. wanted me. It was also the reason Ender and I would be together forever. Well in a sense.

Sure I may have been accepted or tested for battle school at some point, but they thought I was an ordinary child. My parents had told me specifically not to show off in school or else I'd go to battle school.

My parents were neo-hippies who frequented cults, which they swear are just misunderstood religions. I thought they were crazy and didn't believe anything they tried to brainwash me with, but I also hadn't wanted to go into space and so I did as they instructed. They didn't want me to go because there was no religion in battle school. War was your religion. I just didn't want to fight anyone.

But just as they monitored Ender, they stared noticing what I did. Before I knew it I had a monitor. I didn't mind so much going to battle school now, if it meant I could stay with Ender.

------ Author's Note ------

A Monitor is a device implanted in the back if a child's neck, usually before they are five, that allows the viewer to see, hear, and smell everything the child does. It is as of they are looking through the child's body.

The I.F. stands for the International Fleet.

Population Laws had gone into effect throughout the planet and so you could not have more than two kids. The I.F. would authorize parents to have more children if they thought that child would be suitable for Battle school, called Thirds.