chapter 3

It was random, unconventional but he was intrigued. She'd text him to meet her and he wanted to know why.
          He found her sat on a bench in the park., he sat next to her and stared out at the kids playing on swings and slides. After a minutes silence she spoke.
"Its been a month, a month" he nudged her, egging her on.
"He's been there for a month" on the last word her voice cracked. Chris looked out not knowing what to say.
        The awkward silence continued.
"I know" he finally replied. In he distance he heard the kids laughing and wished he could be there.
"You don't understand" Chris tried to defend himself but Maddy carried on.
"That's ok though I never expected you to. I like that you don't understand because you can't sympathize. I like how you treat me normally." Chris laughed, he knew it was inappropriate but the situation was just too tense.
"How should I treat you?" He asked.
       She didn't answer. Instead she got up and dusted herself off.
"You should treat me to chips" she said indicating to the food truck. He laughed and together they walked towards the truck. Chris pulled out his wallet as they joined the back of the Que.
When he finally reached the front he ordered a large chips but Maddy began protesting.
"Mads I promised you I'd buy you some chips now shhh" he stopped only to find the server laughing.
"You two make such a cute couple" he said. Maddy blushed and Chris began protesting. When he saw it was getting him no where Chris just handed him the money only for it to be handed back.
"oh no no my son, you can have it for free" the server told him kindly. Chris looked at the man till Maddy pulled him back to the bench.