page 17

Chris knew he was always the one to get people to open up and talk. Yet it was scarily easy how he got along with Mr Parker. Whom he had insisted was called George. Once Maddy had explained what was happening to Chris and how they had become friends George had all but adopted Chris into the family.
Chris had begun dropping in after his shifts and had once again spent most of his nights calling Maddy whilst Sam made cat calls in the background. He could see why others looked at it like they were in a relationship but they were just friends. At least that's what he tried to tell himself.
When his mum got wind of what had been happening she was not happy. She gave him am hour long lecture on looking after himself. She then proceeded to bomb his phones with texts everyday. She even threatened to send his dad to come see him. Chris loved his dad to death but he was the strictest dad on the planet. After that he answers his parents calls. Chris himself began to feel like he was on top of the world. He had friends that cared and a team of worrying adults. Nothing could get better. Until it did.
When he was invited to his family party back home it was pretty much said that Emily and sam were coming. They'd helped him and since they were even more overprotective than his parents they weren't willing to let him go. Yet he didn't expect for Maddy to come. She had invited herself along. So that's why he ended up outside her school on a Friday afternoon with a bag of clothes and his best friends in the backseat. To be honest he always pictures Maddy as that girl with a load of friends and when he saw her walk out of school his suspicions were confirmed. She walked out with a montage of people around her. When she saw Chris she smiled and walked over leaving her friends behind.
She climbed into the front seat and smiled at Chris.
"So.... your mum's?" Chris nodded and they rode in silent for a while, just listening to the radio. When they hit the traffic lights conversation picked up. Sam and Emily began a conversation on what to wear at the family doo whilst Maddy and Chris just kept glancing at each other.
Chris thought Maddy was cute in her school uniform but you wouldn't catch him saying it because he was definitely not noticing how normal uniform looked horrendous but on her it fitted her perfectly. He was definitely not noticing how her red lipstick matched the red stripes. No he wasn't because Maddy was too young, no he was simply commenting on her uniform as a friend.
When they reached a gas station Chris went into pay. He was followed by Emily. When he turned around to see her he jumped.
"Hey Em what's up?" Emily smiled.
" She makes you happy Christopher and I know she returns your feeling." He would've asked what she meant but he knew. He just couldn't admit that maybe, friendship wasn't all he was feeling.
When he got back to the car Maddy was on the phone. He raised an eyebrow. Maddy mouthed back Dave and Chris smiled.
There was an hour and a half left of their two and a half hour journey. In that time Maddy and Chris fell into an easy conversation whilst Emily smiled at them and Sam talked to Emily, unaware she wasn't listening.
When they finally pulled up at their hotel Chris and Sam carried the girls things inside and payed for their rooms. They'd bought one room with one double bed and two singles. Chris threw his stuff on a one of the single beds whilst Maddy threw her stuff on the other. Sam and Emily slept on the double bed.
Since it was close to seven they all went downstairs had tea then went to bed.