Page 23

Maddy dropped her bags and ran to her father. He smiled at her, happy . She pulled him into a long hug as Chris stood next to Dave. Maddy pulled away from her father and stood next to Chris, she grabbed his hand and pulled him into the living room. Her uncle and father following suit.

"So how was the trip? " her father asked. Maddy's face lit up and she launched into an explanation about Chris's family, how his little brother's laugh lit up a room, how his parents were very loving and how everyone welcomed her. She even made Chris blush by commenting on how great he was with Jack.

"Sound like you had fun!" Dave commented. They both looked at each other and smiled.

"Yeah, we did" they said. The elders shifted uncomfortably as maddy and Chris stared at each other. Obviously they were beginning to realise there feelings.

After a minuet Dave coughed loudly. Both teens pulled away, blushing.

"So how come you are out of hospital, uncle Dave said that you wouldn't be out for a while" Her father smiled

"That's true but they said so long as I had someone to take care of me I'll be okay" Maddy smiled as Chris patted her father on the back.

"I'm glad they let you out Mr Parker"

"Oh please call me Jeff, you saved my life you don't need to be so formal" Maddy laughed as Chris grimaced. It had been a while since anyone had reminded the teen of what he had done.

"I was just erm-" he began, flustered. Maddy snaked her arm around his shoulders.

"Stop being so modest you saved him, you should wear the fact with pride" She encouraged. Chris smiled at her, his teeth glistening in the light.

"I'm not quite sure how you would actually wear that" she punched him in the arm and Chris felt his stomach whurl.

"Whatever Mr Sarcastic" he stuck his toung out at her.

"You hit like a girl!"

"I am a girl!" she huffed. Chris just shook his head.

"So who's going to take care you Mr Park- Jeff" Chris asked. Mr Parker let out a guffaw
"Good idea, change the subject. I'm glad you asked because Dave is, he's taking a few weeks off work to take care of his dear old brother" Chris smiled, Dave hadn't taken any time off since Mr Parker was attacked, he deserved it even if he was taking care of his brother.

"Of course this means that you'll be without a mentor for a couple of weeks, would you be able to cope with that?" Dave asked, Chris immediately turned serious.

"Of course, I mean it'll be hard not have you breathing down my neck but I think i'll survive" Chris said, winking. Dave scowled

"Cheeky sod" he reprimanded. Maddy laughed
"You just make sure you don't kill anyone"
"I'll try, I don't think I can handle going back to prison" he said with mock seriousness. Maddy froze for a minuet before bursting into laughter.
"Oh...My....God" she stuttered. Chris laughed
"Well this is a relief, thought you'd never shut up" he smiled. Maddy poked his ribs
"Hey!" she protested. Chris grabbed her wrists
"No poking!" he yelled
"No being mean"
"No-" Chris began before Dave cut him off
"No flirting!" he commanded. The teens turned to look at the man
"We weren't" they said in unison. Mr Parker laughed and turned to brother in amusement.
"They even speak in unison how cute" he gushed. Dave raised an eyebrow before glancing at the clock.
"Chris, it's getting late and you're at work tomorrow" he said, his voice deep. Chris stood up and nodded
"Of course sir, it was nice seeing you again Mr Parker, Maddy, mind walking me out?" Maddy got up and dragged Christ to the front door where they proceeded to wind each other up for a further ten minuets before Chris left.

                            Mr Parker turned to his brother
"I think they may have a crush on each other"
"You think?" Dave quipped.
"Would you allow it?"
"She's not my daughter"
"He's your protégée" Mr Parker pointed out. Dave sighed
"I'd encourage it, I love Chris like a son but he's far to driven... maybe she could calm him down a bit" he elaborated before turning to leave. Mr parker stayed sitting a smile on his face. Those two definitely liked each other and for some strange reason that didn't scare him like he knew it should. He trusted Chris and thought he was a good man, he just hoped that they would realise they fancied each other before it was to late. With that thought he settled down for bed.