chapter 3

He was about to leave work when he had a change of heart. Instead he went to visit Maddy's dad. Chris sat down next to him and listened to the shallow breathing, taking a deep breath he began to talk. 
"Hello Mr Parker, it's me again. I know, I haven't talked in a while... I'm sorry bout' that. I've become friends with Maddy. She's lovely, her smile really does light up the room. You've been asleep for a month and a half now and you need to wake up. Maddy misses you, she just won't admit it. Please-" Chris was cut off. Mr Parker's heart monitor began indicating his heart beat was skyrocketing. Chris stood up abruptly and pressed the call button. He ripped of the blanket covering Mr Parker and placed on an oxygen mask, helping him to breath.
         The nurses ran in and Chris shouted instructions at them. Once they had assesed Mr Parker they took him to another ward.
           Chris went to the staff room and collapsed into an armchair. He placed his head in his hands and breathed in and out heavily. He hoped Mr Parker was ok.
         He pulled out his phone and clicked on Dave. It ring three times before he picked up.
"Hey Chris, what's up?" There was a moment of silence where Chris attempted to catch his breath be for answering.
"He's... awake.... convulsions... get to hospital... now" he didn't wait for a reply and just hung up.
         Chris began panting as images of that night ran through his head. Blood.... so much blood.... Maddy looking like she was going to die..... her father nearly dying. Tears streamed down his face. He tried to pull himself together, there was no need for a flashback. He'd successfully avoided one, he'd purposely not thought of that night. He didn't understand why he was now. Deep down he know seeing Mr Parker so vulnerable had triggered his flashbacks. He clutched his head as the room became spotty.
          He wasn't aware of a doctor coming in, wasn't aware of the doctor speaking. He was only aware of one thing. The pain that was shooting through him. The doctor began speaking but saw that Chris was running out of oxygen. He placed an oxygen mask over Chris's head. The doctor began whispering encouraging words.
"It's ok Chris, it's ok, you're doing great, just breath for me." Chris eventually calmed down as the room became clear. The doctor, who Chris recognized as Steven, a senior doctor watched Chris apprehensively, when Chris finally calmed down he took off the oxygen mask.
He was going to say thank you but Steven gave him a glass of water. The water soothed his raw throat. Chris mentally berating himself, the doctor side of him knew that it was bound to happen eventually. Yet the nineteen year old side was calling him a wimp among other names.
        When the doctor stood Chris grabbed his hand.
"Please... I know you have put it on my medical record but please.... don't tell anyone." Steve frowned.
"I dunno.... you know I've got to tell the boss man" Chris's shoulders sagged.
"Fine. .. not Dave though.... He's my mentor and I'm friends with his niece, he.... he please?" Steven took one look at Chris and nodded. He checked Chris over and told him he was stable but he had to stay sat down. When Chris nodded he left.
             It was a few moments before his phone rang. He saw Maddy pop-up on caller ID. He let it ring, if he answered she would've caught on that something was wrong. He didn't want her to worry, she didn't deserve that. Instead he sat in silence. To tired to go home.