008. the salvage yard

They're at the Chateau and JJ is making a sandwich.

"That bread had mold on it three days ago." Pope says.

"I'll just pull off the bad parts. Plus, mold is good for you. It's just a natural organism." JJ says.

"You're disgusting." Erin says, her face scrunched up in disgust.

"JJ." Kie calls.

"Yup, yup, yup." JJ says, finishing up the sandwich and rushing over. "Hot damn! Let's do it." He takes a bite of his sandwich and starts chewing, but quickly gags on it, spitting it out.

"Natural organisms?" Zack asks.

"Shut up, man." JJ groans and Zack quietly laughs, sharing an amused smile with Erin.

John B opened the envelope and pulls a map out.

"Holy shit." John B says.

"Oh. X marks the spot." Pope says, pointing to a mark on the map.

"Longitude, latitude." John B points out. "Wait, there's somethin' else in there." He says, going through the envelope and pulling out a tape recorder.

"What's that?" JJ asks.

"It's a tape recorder, dumbass." Kie says.

John B hits play.

"Dear Bird." Big John's voice comes through on the recorder.

"Who's Bird?" JJ asks.

"That's what my dad called me." John B says.

"I hate to say, "I told you so," but I told you so. And you doubted your old man. I suspect at this moment, you're filled with guilt and self loathing over our last fight, but don't kill yourself just yet, kid. I didn't expect to find the Merchant either."

"You were probably right to call me out. Wasn't exactly father of the decade. What can I say, kid? I could smell the barn. And hopefully, we're listenin' to this in our brand new sugar shack down in Costa Rica, livin' off passive investments and pulling on permits. If not, and you find this for less than optimal reasons, well, that's what the map is for."

"There she is, the wreck of the Merchant. If somethin' happens to me, finish what I started. Go for the gold, kid. I love you, Bird, even if I didn't always act like it. I'll see you on the other side."

The recording stops and John B turns it off. He gets up, walking a bit away, quietly sobbing.

"Holy shit, he did it!" JJ exclaims. "Big John, he-he found the Merchant--"

"JJ." Erin hisses, smacking him in the arm.

"Can you... can you please?" Kie says.

"Sorry." JJ mumbles.

Kie goes over to John B, hugging him, attempting to comfort him.

+++

The six sit out on the dock, Kie playing the ukulele.

"How much was it again?" JJ asks.

"Four hundred mil." Pope states.

"All right, let's talk the split. Now, before we say "evenly," may I remind you that I am the only one that can properly defend us from those groupers who were after us." JJ states, holding the gun up. "Protection? Not cheap, okay?"

"The only time you've used that is aim it at Topper." Erin says. "When we really needed it, you left it on the damn porch."

"It's still not cheap." JJ says.