013. ━ race for chief

season three, episode eighteen[ race for chief ]

[ race for chief ]

❝You look better when you have
color in your face? Really?❞

"𝐒𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔'𝐑𝐄 𝐆𝐎𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐁𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐓𝐎 work tomorrow?"

Abby had been required to take a month off from work to recover and, to put it simply, she was losing her mind. She looked up from her couch and over at her brother who was attempting to make spaghetti for them.

"Yeah," she replied with a nod, laying back down in boredom. "I was forced to take the month off."

"Well, you did almost die by drowning," he reminded her with a chuckle and Abby rolled her eyes. "Well, you did!"

"I know that," she said, rolling off the couch with a sigh. "But it doesn't mean that I needed it publicized."

Adam shook his head at his sister. She had always been the type of person who buried her feelings and troubles deep down to focus on somebody else. She had done that many times growing up; especially after their mother died.

Adam had never realized how shitty of a brother he had been until he went to rehab and had to think about his past. Not only had he been responsible for his brother's death and his sister's brain injury, but he had never once thought about Abby. She had always been the responsible one, never complaining about taking care of her siblings, and he had simply thrown everything away.

What kind of person does that?

What kind of brother does that?"

"Adam?" Abby's voice broke through his thoughts and he looked back at her. "You okay?"

He nodded wordlessly.

Ever since Adam had been released from his rehab facility, he and Abby have tried to have dinner every week to try and repair their relationship. They knew it wouldn't take a week, but they were slowly getting back to how they were when they were younger.

And he couldn't ask for more.

"You're burning the pasta," Abby said with a frown and Adam looked back down at it. "You never were able to cook."

Adam looked at her. "Rude."

She shrugged. "Just telling the truth," she replied, nudging him on the shoulder before taking the pan from him.

As she walked away, she didn't see Adam's small smile.

She was teasing him again.

That was a good sign.

___________________________

𝐀𝐁𝐁𝐘 𝐖𝐀𝐋𝐊𝐄𝐃 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆'𝐒 lounge finally allowed to return to work after her month-long mandatory break. It had been a very boring month for the neurosurgeon. She had rearranged the furniture in her living room several times; she visited her sister at least three times a week; and had dinner with her brother four times during the week he had been released from the rehab facility.