016. ━ annie

season three // episode twenty-one[ annie ]

[ annie ]

❝You'll love it with Aunt Abby.❞

"𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄. 𝐓𝐄𝐋𝐋 𝐌𝐄 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐂𝐀𝐊𝐄 you like the best."

Abby looked up from her chart with a confused expression on her face and saw the cardio surgeon standing across from her. "I—I'm sorry?"

Burke sighed and placed a tray of tiny cakes on the table in front of her. "I have to give the bakery our decision by tomorrow and my fiancé could care less."

"Aren't the interns taking their exam in a few weeks?" Abby asked as she looked back down at her chart. "Shouldn't she be more focused on passing so she doesn't have to do her internship over again?"

"Everyone else is eating the cake," Burke said with a shrug and she paused. "Might as well offer you some, too. Let me know what you think."

Abby opened her mouth but he walked away before she could say anything. She looked back down at the cakes and sniffed them just as Derek came up to her.

"Are you smelling the cake?" he asked in amusement making her jump at his voice.

"Well, he didn't tell me what kind they were," she said defensively. She found two forks in the desk drawer and handed one to him as she took a bite of one of them. "Ooh, vanilla."

Derek chuckled at her excitement and started eating the other cake. "Did you hear that Larry Jennings is in the hospital?" he asked and she glanced at him.

"I did..." She let out a breath and tilted her head. "Does this mean that you and the rest of the surgeons who, for some godforsaken reason want to be chief, are going to be bombarding him? While he's in the hospital? Injured?"

"His penis is swollen," he said and she choked on her bite of cake.

"Why?" she whined, looking up at him. "Why do you tell me things? Tell me, do I look like the type of person that wants to know that her boss' boss has a swollen penis? Because I'm not." She glanced down the hall and saw Addison talking with Alex. "Oh, thank goodness. At least she won't talk to me about swollen penises."

She patted his shoulder and smiled innocently at him before making her way toward the redhead.

"Wanna get a drink later?" he called out to her and she turned around, walking backward with a teasing smile.

"Are you buying?" she replied and he nodded. She clicked her tongue. "I'll see you tonight then."

As soon as she was within arms reach of the fetal surgeon, Addison grabbed onto her and dragged her down the hallway. "I saw you talking to Derek," she said and Abby looked at her. "Was it about anything exciting? She asks hopefully because her life is incredibly dull."