seven

Ren looked up at the apartment building complex as she approached with the woman who needed her visa extended. Ren looked at her, knowing she was nervous. With two games under her belt, Ren really wasn't sure if she was ready either, but they couldn't turn back now.

Ren climbed the stairs, walking through the barrier with ease. Ren and the young woman walked up the stairs until they walked into the main entrance. Ren lifted her head up, seeing more people than she thought would actually be there. Ren glanced around at everyone before walking over to the phones sitting on the table.

She grabbed one randomly, waiting for the face recognition to finish scanning. Then the timer popped up, telling Ren how many people were there and how much time until registration was closed. Ren wasn't going to get used to that robotic voice telling her about the game would be commencing soon.

Ren stood off to the side with the young woman. She was playing with the phone, trying to distract herself. As Ren waited for the game to start, she looked over all the players who were currently waiting around. However, her eyes fell upon the voice she recognized. "Oh for the love of..." Ren placed her head into her hand.

"Is something the matter?" The young woman asked softly.

Ren refused to answer - she just had to link back up with Arisu and Karube again. Although, she did wonder where Chota was. Ren shook her head. Lifting her head up from her hand, she was going to try and ignore the fact those two were there and hope to God they didn't notice her.

But as Ren stood there, she noticed someone in a white hoodie off to the side. His eyes were closed, ignoring everyone else. What was surprising about him was... he was listening to music.

"Registration has closed. There are a total of 15 participants. The game will now commence." Ren clicked her tongue off the roof of her mouth, taking a deep breath. She couldn't wait to find out what game they were playing and the suit. "Difficulty: Five of Spades."

The young woman grabbed Ren's arm, shaking her head frantically. "No, no."

"What the hell's the matter?"

"No, we can't do Spade."

"Why not?"

"Spade is the hardest ones to beat." She looked like she was going to cry, but there was no turning back now.

"Five of Spade?" Karube questioned.

"It's a physical game." Ren turned her attention to the player who spoke. He was dressed proper, along with a fedora on his head. "Strength is everything here." Ren looked down at her knee that was wrapped up. While the pain wasn't bad, she wasn't exactly hit to be physical.

"Oh God." The young woman gasped, placing her hands over her mouth. Ren realized why no one wanted to go out with this woman to help her extend her visa.

However, Ren was more interested in what the fedora wearing man had to say about the games and what the suits meant. "Club refers to a team battle, and Diamond refers to a battle of wits. As for Heart... it's the most troublesome one." Ren found that curious - hearts being the most troublesome.

A part of Ren wanted to play one just to see how it was like.

The fedora man then spoke about the numbers - the higher the number, the more difficult, the lower... less difficult, but difficult.

The phones dinged a few times to let the players know what they were playing that evening. "Game: A Game of Tag. Rule: Run away from the tagger." Ren looked down at the details - were they five-years-old playing a game of tag? What kind of game was this?