33 | An Uneasy Alliance

"Her name is Sophia?"

"Yeah. I've told her about you, and she wants to meet you. I really want you to meet her too. Do you want to have lunch on Saturday? You can bring Ahri, and we can make it a double date," Ben's voice resonated from the other side of the call.

I had my phone to my ear as he talked to me about his new girlfriend. I was excited for him to have finally found someone who made him happy. 

"Yeah, sure. I'll ask her."

In my hands was a small cake box from the local bakery I knew Sera liked. It felt weird to say, but starting last night, she became my second girlfriend. I, of course, was extraordinarily ecstatic, but I was always worried that Ahri would feel as if I was going to abandon her for Sera, which I would obviously never do. We planned to spend today together, the three of us, and work out the nature of our strange relationship.

...or at least that was the plan until I saw something I didn't expect.

A woman with long silvery hair, sharp golden eyes, and claw-like nails came running down the street across. It was Evelynn. I almost moved to call out to her as it had certainly been a very long while since we had even heard from her, until she glanced back, almost in a panic, and escaped into a narrow alleyway. Shortly after, a group of fully covered figures chased after her, dashing into the same passage.

"Alright great. I think you'll like her—"

With a puzzled, nearly alarmed expression, I interrupted Ben.

"Yeah, I think I will. Hey, I gotta go. I'll call you back."

I hung up the call even before he could utter a goodbye and pocketed the phone. I had not the slightest clue of what was going on, but on the off chance that she was in danger, I couldn't ignore it. I pushed past the swarms of people glancing at the scene with hushed whispers, with my eyes still completely glued to where Evelynn had ducked into.

I hurried down the long, winding alley until the clamors from the streets became distant. Even in the pristine Piltover, pieces of litter dotted the ground that tugged slightly from the hasty movements of my legs. Between the tall buildings, light became scarce as the only source of illumination was the sunlight peering in overhead.

Eventually, the passage bent, and when I turned the corner, several bodies in black tactical gear lay either slumped against the wall or flat on the ground, each with lacerations strewn all over their figure. I couldn't help but recoil slightly from the gruesome scene.

Was this Evelynn's work?

I crouched down by the nearest body, examining the vest for any form of identification, but all I found was a badge with an insignia I didn't recognize. As I held its cold steel in my hand, it felt strangely heavy, or rather, my arm seemed to lose strength. But this was a feeling I recognized. This was Demacian petricite.

What the hell is going on here?

I returned the badge to the body. I wanted to keep it, but I couldn't risk carrying around something that drained me, especially if I needed to fight someone. I proceeded onward, careful to step between the bodies.

As I continued forth, the narrow way opened up into a small back alley parking lot. I caught a glimpse of silver hair fleeting into the back of a dark van. The vehicle roared as the wheels scraped against the asphalt and quickly escaped.

Fuck. How was I supposed to catch up to her now?

But as I remained there, trying to figure out my next move, I felt the chilly barrel of a gun press against the back of my head. I froze.