Chapter 44: Surgery And Treatment

Chapter 44: Skye

"Ang guwapo ng asawa ni Chef Gab, 'no?"

Iyon agad ang narinig ko pagkagising ko buhat sa aking operasyon. The nurses who are looking after me are giggling as they talk about my husband.

"Huwag ka 'te, halatang inlove na inlove 'yon kay Chef. No chance ka na," sabi nong isang babaeng nurse.

"Hindi ko naman aagawin, buang ka ba? Bawal ba hangaan kapag may asawa na?" sagot ng kausap niya.

I cleared my throat to get their attention before they could throw a fit. I told them that my mouth was dry and that I needed some water. They gladly obliged. I also mentioned that I needed a pain reliever, which they promptly provided.

"W-where is my husband?" I asked them while still groggy from the anesthesia, holding my head that was wrapped up with a gauge.

"Pinatawag na namin, Chef. Nasa Chapel po yata. Ang dinig ko po ay doon siya naglagi habang inooperahan ka. Mas maaga po ng dalawang oras na natapos ang operasyon mo kaya baka hanggang ngayon ay ipinagdarasal ka pa rin po ng asawa mo." Nakita kong kumikinang ang mga mata ng nurse habang nagsasalita. Nararamdaman ko rin na kinikilig siya habang nagkukuwento kaya napangiti ako.

They noticed the door opening after taking my blood pressure and quickly greeted the doctor who was coming in.

"Good morning, Dr. Arnaiz," they both said together.

"Hello and good morning." He said, while half-smiling and looking at me. "How are you doing, Mrs. Razonable?"

I was still hazy from the surgery, but I smelled him. "Doc, you smell like my late husband," I remarked, making him grin like a hunk. He smells like a combination of vanilla and jasmine, which Hendrix used to like when he was alive.

"Really?" He wasn't even surprised when I asked him. "It's my wife's perfume," he explained. "Naidikit lang sa akin. I suppose it's a universal perfume."

"Maybe," I said.

"How are you feeling, anyway?"

"I'm fine, but still groggy and hazy," I said, but I don't have an idea how the surgery went and didn't stop myself from asking. "Was the operation successful, Doc?"

He was about to respond when the hottest guy in my head who I wanted to see entered the room, rushing to hug and claim me on the lips. "I'm so happy you made it, love!" He exclaimed, then kissed me again as if there were no one around us. I notice they were all smiling. Naiilang pa ang dalawang nurse na nag-iwas ng tingin sa amin.

Angelo apologized to all of them the moment he let me go. "I was just overjoyed. Doc, please accept my apologies."

Dr. Arnaiz smiled amusedly. "It's not a problem. I did the same thing when my wife awoke from a five-year coma."

"Five years?" Halos sabay naming tanong ng asawa ko.

"Yes. Kaya naiintindihan ko ang asawa mo. Let's drop my personal life alone; it's not that interesting," he had said, letting out a small laugh. "We were unable to remove the entire tumor because it was wrapped around the carotoid atery. Because of the swelling, the original bone could not be replaced on the left side of your skull. We had put a titanium on it. Your skull's front left side is hollow, about the size of a golf ball. When the swelling in the brain goes down, it will go all the way down to the right place."

I nodded, and we both thanked him for being such an excellent surgeon. He declined to shave my head. He'd just cut the section he needed to open on my head.

He also advised me on what I should and should not do while recovering. And I was told to go through the treatments as well as the side effects. My husband was by my side the entire time I was going through it.