Chapter 45: Your Father Is Gay

"Lagi kong napapanaginipan si Skye at lahat ng masasakit na salita na sinabi niya noong nasa Mexico pa tayo at masakit pa rin iyon sa akin."

"Love, I guess you're dreaming all of that because you were disappointed that Skye wasn't fighting your battle with you," Angelo said softly as he caressed my hair. I'm learning to confide in my husband about everything.

I nodded absentmindedly. "You're right. I'm quite disappointed she wasn't there when I needed her, but I'm grateful that you are. I couldn't handle it all if you weren't there to support and care for me. But I can't blame her because she had no idea I had a brain tumor."

"Would you like me to tell her?"

"No. She's busy. I don't want to be a burden to her."

"Alright. If you say so." He kissed my temple, and we both relished the serenity of our closeness until our new boarder arrived. Angelo didn't seem to mind and continued to hug me kahit na itinutulak ko na siya.

"I overheard what you two were discussing, and I apologize for interrupting, but I have some advice for you, Gab." Miss Lana gave me a serious look and made a suggestion that made me stand up.

"I can't do it," I said, shaking my head in terror.

"Yes, you can. It's the only way out of those nightmares. I've heard you have hallucinations and strange nightmares. Do it, Gab, or you'll go insane. Nobody can help you except yourself."

Hearing her describe those strange nightmares reminded me of all the hurtful words my daughter had said.

"Mom, para mo nang anak 'yang si Angelo. Mahiya ka naman! Masarap ba? Masarap ba siya kaya kahit kamamatay lang noon ni Daddy, pinatulan mo na agad siya? Kating-kati ka na kaya-"

"Mom, ikaw ba ang rason kaya laging natatanggal ang mga binatang staff sa restaurant noon?" Mapanuya siyang tumawa. "I had no idea my mother enjoyed being fucked by young men..."

"Mom, wake up! Kapag tumanda ka na at kumulubot, fresh pa din 'yang si Angelo. He will leave you for someone younger and more attractive. He'll find another girl and forget about you. Don't come back to me crying and tell me that I didn't warn you."

"Then follow him home. I don't need a mother like you,"

"Magkanya-kanya na tayo ng buhay tutal kaya ko namang mabuhay nang wala ka."

Hindi ko namalayang umiiyak na pala ako habang inaalala ang mga masasakit na salitang iyon galing sa anak ko. Angelo was silently hugging and caressing my back. I'm exhausted and restless. I was sweating and shivering at the same time and Angelo was worriedly hugging me. I had the urge to vomit, so I dashed to the sink and vomited there. Hinang-hina ako pagkatapos kong sumuka. We left Lana downstairs while Angelo carried me in his arms.

"Sorry kung pabigat ako lagi sa 'yo." Nanghihina kong sabi habang naglalakad siya paakyat ng kuwarto, karga ako.

"It's a pleasure to look after you, love. Take a rest; we'll visit the hospital later."

I then felt like I was in a cloud nine, in a constant state of euphoria and contentment. My body simply feels good. It must be a side effect of my radiation treatment. I'm drenched in sweat and stink because of the toxins oozing from my pores.

Nagpahinga lang ako ng isa't-kalahating oras at nag-ayos pagkagising ko. Then we went to the hospital, and Doctor Arnaiz told me that I'm having withdrawal symptoms from the medication I'd been taking during my treatment.

Ikinuwento rin ni Angelo ang mga panaginip ko sa kanya.

"If you have persistent feelings of sadness or difficulty getting out of bed in the morning, you may be suffering from depression. This is common in people who have had a brain tumor. Mrs. Razonable, you can do this." He stated. He also prescribed medication for my toilet habits. Pinayuhan din niya akong makabubuti sa akin ang pag-eehersisyo at pakikipagsocialize sa ibang tao, which I rarely do. Lagi na lang akong nagkukulong sa loob ng kuwarto namin.