Prologue EDITED VERSION

Prologue Edited Version

"I can do this."

Isla chanted to herself, and she sat nervously at the makeup table backstage, fidgeting with her fingers as the makeup artist applied her lipstick. Pinagmasdan niya ang sarili sa salami at nginitian ang kanyang sarili.

You can do this, Isla. You've made it this far!

She couldn't believe she had made it this far in the beauty pageant, but the pressure was starting to get to her.

Her mother stood behind her, arms crossed, with a stern expression on her face.

"Hurry up, Isla! You need to be ready in five minutes!" Her mother barked in annoyance.

Isla tried to keep her composure, but her mother's strict tone made her even more anxious.

"Mom, I'm doing my best. I want to look perfect for the competition," pagsusumamo niya.

"Your best isn't good enough, Isla. You need to do better. This pageant is important, and you need to be at your absolute best," suway ng mommy niya.

Isla felt a lump in her throat. Alam niyang tama ang kanyang ina, ngunit habang pini-pressure siya ng ina ay mas lalo siyang kinakabahan.

"I know, Mom. I'm trying my hardest," aniya, nanginginig ang boses.

"Trying isn't good enough. You need to succeed. You've worked too hard to let this opportunity slip away," sermon ng ina niya.

Isla took a deep breath and tried to focus. She closed her eyes and imagined herself on stage, radiating confidence and beauty.

"I understand, Mom. I'll try harder," sagot muli niya.

Her mother softened her gaze, placing a hand on Isla's shoulder.

Ngunit matigas pa rin ang anyo ng ina niya. "You need to do more than try, Isla. You need to focus and concentrate. Stop fidgeting and pay attention to your makeup. You need to look flawless on that stage."

"Okay, Mom. I'll do my best."

Her mother looked her in the eyes. "Your best isn't good enough, Isla. You need to do better than your best. You need to be perfect. Do you understand?"

Isla took a deep breath and nodded.

"Yes, Mom. I understand." 

Ngumiti ang kanyang ina; inilagay ang kanyang kamay sa balikat ng kanyang anak. "Good. Now let's finish up your makeup and get you out there. You have a lot riding on this, Isla. Don't let me down."

Isla took a deep breath and focused on the task at hand. Habang naghihintay si Isla sa backstage para magpatuloy, hindi niya maiwasang makaramdam ng kaba. Nakakabingi ang ingay mula sa karamihan, at ramdam niya ang kabog ng kanyang puso sa kanyang dibdib.

Tumabi sa kanya ang kanyang ina, binigyan siya ng final touch-up ng kanyang makeup. Ngunit hindi niya maiwasang punahin ang bawat kilos ni Isla.

"Sit up straight, Isla. You need to look confident!" suway muli ng matanda.

"I'm trying, Mom. I'm just really nervous."

Halatang naiinis na ang kanyang ina at hindi na maiwasang tumaas ang presyon niya. She rolled her eyes at her daughter.

"Kailangan mong pag-igihan, Isla. Ilang buwan mo na itong pinaghahandaan."

Isla felt a knot form in her stomach, feeling the weight of her mother's expectations.